• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend vs Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MRMATHIAS

Sorry I'm new to this. This is my question. My girlfriend and I have a home together. It is in her name. I help pay the bills and I paid for all of the closing costs and the remodel of the home which was around $75,000. Plus did all the work myself in 45 days of my own time. She wants to separate but doesnt want me to take my furniture and appliances and other materials objects I have invested into this home. Can someone please give me insight onto what I can do.

LdiJ

Sorry I'm new to this. This is my question. My girlfriend and I have a home together. It is in her name. I help pay the bills and I paid for all of the closing costs and the remodel of the home which was around $75,000. Plus did all the work myself in 45 days of my own time. She wants to separate but doesnt want me to take my furniture and appliances and other materials objects I have invested into this home. Can someone please give me insight onto what I can do.
Anything that was hard installed/built into the home you definitely cannot take. If the home had serviceable appliances and you replaced them with something else you probably cannot take those either. Furniture, that you can prove you paid for you can likely take.

You can sue her for unjust enrichment if you like for the money you put into the home, but in that case you would have to prove that it was not a gift. Can you prove that it was not a gift? Also, a judge might find it hard to buy that a single person in only 45 days, actually used 75k worth of materials, so make sure that you can prove any figure that you state.

You are probably going to want to consult an attorney who can review all of the facts of the situation to give you a clear determination of what you might succeed in doing.

Bali Hai

Yes, present this case to any judge in the U.S. You were a tenant and you will lose.

ecmst12

Your girlfriend has a home that you were living in. You have no claim to ownership of the house. You were a tenant, nothing more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">