• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend wants Half of everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phillychic28

What is the name of your state? NJ

I have been with my boyfriend (NOT MARRIED) for almost 8 yrs now We lived in Pa until Sept 05. We bought a house in NJ the house is in my name only along with the deed We were making payments out of a joint account for about 5 months I then opened my own checking account and been making payments since mar 06 out of my personal account We are now in the process of splitting up He's is telling me he is entitled to half of the equity of the house is this true? Being we are not married and the house is in my name alone? Is this community property? I am already struggling to make payments he will not help me and he is in the process of looking at new houses to purchase on his own.My other question is we purchased a timeshare 4 yrs ago it will be paid off in Feb 08 My name is the primary name on the timeshare but we both entered the contract I have made every payment on time with my personal credit card he has not made one payment is this considered community property? I can prove I made every payment on my own. I can have his name removed but he has to agree to it which I know he won't. As far as the personal property in the house I told him he can take whatever he wants The only things I am worried about is the house and the timeshare.

Thanks in advance , Christy

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

I have been with my boyfriend (NOT MARRIED) for almost 8 yrs now We lived in Pa until Sept 05. We bought a house in NJ the house is in my name only along with the deed We were making payments out of a joint account for about 5 months I then opened my own checking account and been making payments since mar 06 out of my personal account We are now in the process of splitting up He's is telling me he is entitled to half of the equity of the house is this true? Being we are not married and the house is in my name alone? Is this community property? I am already struggling to make payments he will not help me and he is in the process of looking at new houses to purchase on his own.My other question is we purchased a timeshare 4 yrs ago it will be paid off in Feb 08 My name is the primary name on the timeshare but we both entered the contract I have made every payment on time with my personal credit card he has not made one payment is this considered community property? I can prove I made every payment on my own. I can have his name removed but he has to agree to it which I know he won't. As far as the personal property in the house I told him he can take whatever he wants The only things I am worried about is the house and the timeshare.

Thanks in advance , Christy
Tell him to bite rocks.

nextwife

If he's an owner of the timeshare, he doesn't have to simply sign it over to you.

Did he contribute downpayment for the house purchase? If so, you may want to consider being fair and TRADING him some settlement in exchange for him giving up his share of the timeshare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">