• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brazilian Seeking Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jess_Rio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

I am trying to divorce my husband but not sure how to proceed.
We were married in Las Vegas during April 2006. I lived with him in Kansas City Missouri. After a few months of constant fighting, I left the marriage and moved home to Rio. He has refused to divorce me and will not file any paperwork even abandonement papers.

How can I proceed to divorce him? I've contacted an American law firm in Missouri but have not heard back. What can I do?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

I am trying to divorce my husband but not sure how to proceed.
We were married in Las Vegas during April 2006. I lived with him in Kansas City Missouri. After a few months of constant fighting, I left the marriage and moved home to Rio. He has refused to divorce me and will not file any paperwork even abandonement papers.

How can I proceed to divorce him? I've contacted an American law firm in Missouri but have not heard back. What can I do?
La Ley de Los Estados Unidos solamente:)

Jess_Rio

Not sure what you mean. My husband is in USA and the marriage was in the USA. How is this not American law? Can a Brazilian law firm file divorce in USA? How does a Brazilian lawyer know how to file the papers needed?

Isis1

Not sure what you mean. My husband is in USA and the marriage was in the USA. How is this not American law? Can a Brazilian law firm file divorce in USA? How does a Brazilian lawyer know how to file the papers needed?
in the spot where is says (what is the name of your state) you should have put Missouri. not Brazil.

divorce needs to be filed where husband lives. wait to hear from the attorney you contacted.

you cannot force husband to file for divorce. find out in brazil if an uncontested divorce is possible and recognized in your country for a marriage started in the US.

LdiJ

The US wouldn't require you to divorce in the US. A Brazilian divorce would be perfectly acceptable under US law. So, if you can divorce in your country, you should do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">