• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of settlement agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

princesslizzie

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My divorce was finalized in April 2007. As part of the settlement agreement, my ex-husband owes me approx. $3000. Since the settlement agreement doesn't specify a timeline for the debt to be re-paid, would I have any luck getting a court to make him pay?
I intially proposed a promissory note detailing the terms, but he rejected that and has since rejected another request for payment. Meanwhile, he is paying off his school loans.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My divorce was finalized in April 2007. As part of the settlement agreement, my ex-husband owes me approx. $3000. Since the settlement agreement doesn't specify a timeline for the debt to be re-paid, would I have any luck getting a court to make him pay?

The court already gave you a judgement.

I intially proposed a promissory note detailing the terms, but he rejected that and has since rejected another request for payment. Meanwhile, he is paying off his school loans.
Have your attorney turn it over to the county sheriff for collection.

princesslizzie

Have your attorney turn it over to the county sheriff for collection.
Unfortunately, since it was such a simple divorce (amicable, no children), I represented myself. He had counsel who drew up the necessary paperwork.

Can I contact the County Sheriff directly?

moburkes

I'd pay off the students loans first, too. They're on his credit, and they charge interest. Apparently, your loan isn't on his credit, it doesn't charge interest, and there's no penalty for not paying right away.

princesslizzie

I'd pay off the students loans first, too. They're on his credit, and they charge interest. Apparently, your loan isn't on his credit, it doesn't charge interest, and there's no penalty for not paying right away.
Not that it matters, but he also bought his girlfiriend an engagement ring. (I was trying to avoid discrediting myself by leaving that little detail out of this.)

moburkes

So, his priorities are out of whack, but you still need to let your child pay for her own college. It'll free up some money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">