• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breaking up with girlfriend small problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dallascowboys

ny(only U.S. law)?
Hello, so my girlfriend just broke up with me. she has some of my stuff that I want to get back. I got her a necklace for valentines day. She said that she would give it back to me when she broke up. I have this in a email.
"....if you want ur necklace back that's fine it was very thoughtful of you...." Now i that i say i want it back. She say I have to give her a xmas gift back. she also has some of my other things. The value of these things is about $200 not much money. i'm just a young guy. In the email she wrote me she says that things weren't going good for her for awhile. she waited to after valentines day to end it. i didnt even ask for it back but now that she offered it back I feel like maybe its mine with what she said after I accepted. Is this worth fighting over, it probably isn't. I'm just curious to what I could do. If she refuses to give my stuff back and the necklace could i sue for punitive damages or something similar? Pretty sad stuff. funny because she writes in the email that she wants to handle this like adults and snaps at me for excepting my gift back and wants the oakley sunglasses she got me for xmas. anyways thanks for reading.

dallascowboys

she also admits to having my stuff in the email which is good and signs it so i think that might help me get it back. I don't know about the neck less though.:)

and some venting. Its good that we broke up. she is over weight and is crazy addicted to pot. she'd get mad at me for not smoking with her. she is getting her stomach stapled good for her though.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

ny(only U.S. law)?
Hello, so my girlfriend just broke up with me. she has some of my stuff that I want to get back. I got her a necklace for valentines day. She said that she would give it back to me when she broke up. I have this in a email.
"....if you want ur necklace back that's fine it was very thoughtful of you...." Now i that i say i want it back. She say I have to give her a xmas gift back. she also has some of my other things. The value of these things is about $200 not much money. i'm just a young guy. In the email she wrote me she says that things weren't going good for her for awhile. she waited to after valentines day to end it. i didnt even ask for it back but now that she offered it back I feel like maybe its mine with what she said after I accepted. Is this worth fighting over, it probably isn't. I'm just curious to what I could do. If she refuses to give my stuff back and the necklace could i sue for punitive damages or something similar? Pretty sad stuff. funny because she writes in the email that she wants to handle this like adults and snaps at me for excepting my gift back and wants the oakley sunglasses she got me for xmas. anyways thanks for reading.
No, it's not worth fighting over. You gave it to her, its hers. You could possibly argue that her offer to return it is a contract - and you might even win, but by the time you file in small claims court, spend a day hanging around the courthouse, and MAYBE win, it's just not worth it for $200.

Just reply to her email saying "That's very generous of you, I'd like to have it back, so could you please return it". If she does, you get the necklace (although it's not entirely clear to me why you want it unless you think you can sell it on eBay or something). If she doesn't, just drop it and walk away sadder but wiser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">