• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken engagment/he wants the ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dumped

I live in Illinois, he lives in North Carolina. He broke off the engagement and he owes me a very large amount of money and days he does not know when he can pay it back. I know he is financially strapped. Do I send the engagement ring back?

S

Smithy

I would do my best to work out an arrangement agreeable to both of you. Tell him you'll keep the ring and call it even, or hold onto it until he pays the money back. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with, but don't be spiteful over a broken engagement either. At least you found out now. Good luck.
P.S. And get everything in writing.

D

dumped

Thanks, I am trying not to be spiteful. I even offered to cut the debt in half (the cost of the ring) he swore at me and made threats. He also left me a message saying to keep the ring and that he lied to me about what he needed the money for and that he would pay me back.

T

Tretti

The engagement is over and the groom - to- have- been wants his ring back.Can he sue his former fiancee? Maybe, but hiring a professional mediator might be a better solution. Such cases called breach of promise lawsuits, are not popular with the courts and not even allowed in some states. So consider the following.

Whose ring is it? Traditionally, the ring is a gift from the prospective groom to his fiancee and hers to keep. But if she breaks the engagement, or if the ring was an heirloom from his family then the judge might order her to return it.

Who was at fault? If you got cold feet, the court may rule against you. If your intended met someone else and backed out, the court may rule against him or her. If the breakup was mutal then you may both be ordered to return the gifts gave each other.

Can fairness be decided?? If you go to court, the judge may have to weigh the relative vaule of the gift or gifts in question. While there are certainly no exceptions,generally a gift is considered a gift including an engagement ring with no obligation attached.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">