• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burial of Real Parents and Surviving Step-Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kinchyle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My dad was married for 20 so years and then divorced. He remarried a year later and was married for 2years before my dad past away. My mom past away a year later.

My dad is now in a "temporary masoleum". My mom is in the same "temporary masoleum" except one over from my dad (a gap). When we put my mom in the same masoleum my step-mom basically disowned us and we have spoken since (about 7 years).

My dad had wishes of being buried in a family masoleum one where I'd have the option to be buried with, which I would like.

My mom wanted to be buried with my dad either next or in the same coffin. She said this on her death bed as well.

Can my step-mom put in her will that she wants my dad moved to another location in a crip for just them ?

I don't mind having my step-mom buried with my dad. Just would like my mom buried there as well and the option for me to buried in the same masoleum.

I am also unsure of her sons intentions. If he wants to be buried with his mom then we are going to have problems. I was told it would be safer if I didn't confront my step-mom about this....
I'm afraid it's going to require that and then it's going to become a legal issue.
Curious of my rights if it comes to it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My dad was married for 20 so years and then divorced. He remarried a year later and was married for 2years before my dad past away. My mom past away a year later.

My dad is now in a "temporary masoleum". My mom is in the same "temporary masoleum" except one over from my dad (a gap). When we put my mom in the same masoleum my step-mom basically disowned us and we have spoken since (about 7 years).

My dad had wishes of being buried in a family masoleum one where I'd have the option to be buried with, which I would like.

My mom wanted to be buried with my dad either next or in the same coffin. She said this on her death bed as well.

Can my step-mom put in her will that she wants my dad moved to another location in a crip for just them ?

I don't mind having my step-mom buried with my dad. Just would like my mom buried there as well and the option for me to buried in the same masoleum.

I am also unsure of her sons intentions. If he wants to be buried with his mom then we are going to have problems. I was told it would be safer if I didn't confront my step-mom about this....
I'm afraid it's going to require that and then it's going to become a legal issue.
Curious of my rights if it comes to it.

Unless there was a will specifying this, stepmom has the right to decide where HER HUSBAND is buried. NOT you.

Kinchyle

Parents should remember two things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex (or soon to be ex) and when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death parts you.
I understand the death parts you.
So if my Dad and step-mom were buried next to each other in a crip. Where would my mom go ? Her wishes were to be with my dad and my dad always told us he still loved my mom (alcoholism was the final point). Should we put her by herself in a plot in a different location in the cemetary ?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So if my Dad and step-mom were buried next to each other in a crip. Where would my mom go ? Her wishes were to be with my dad and my dad always told us he still loved my mom (alcoholism was the final point). Should we put her by herself in a plot in a different location in the cemetary ?
At this point, does it matter? The bodies won't know where they are at. :eek:

Kinchyle

When I take my kids to the cemetary to meet the grandparents they never got to meet it would be nice to take them to a family mosaleum. Also for them to know it would be a place where I could be buried as well as them. Then generations down the line could have a place to see lineage and expand the mosaleum. It was one of my dad's wishes. His dad was a tombstone maker and they had a hobby of tracing down lineage in cemetary's and doing tombston scribblings.

Maybe it's a pipe dream or maybe I just need to start it and put a map on my epitat for the preceeding generations.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When I take my kids to the cemetary to meet the grandparents they never got to meet it would be nice to take them to a family mosaleum. Also for them to know it would be a place where I could be buried as well as them. Then generations down the line could have a place to see lineage and expand the mosaleum. It was one of my dad's wishes. His dad was a tombstone maker and they had a hobby of tracing down lineage in cemetary's and doing tombston scribblings.

Maybe it's a pipe dream or maybe I just need to start it and put a map on my epitat for the preceeding generations.
WADR - they wouldn't be meeting the grandparents...they'd be meeting a wall or a headstone.

mistoffolees

That would be my choice. You could try to put her as close as possible, but be prepared for griping from the SM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">