• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying a boat from 1 party during a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timH

Tim in California.

I want to buy a used boat that from a person involved in a divorce. He claims that it is his owner outright and title is in his name only and that this boat is not subject to any community property agreement, as a result, he has title and can sell to me without permission from spouse.

I would plan to perform transfer at DMV window and pay seller simultaneously as title is successfully transferred into my name.

Question: If it later turns out that boat is subject to community property and/or prior judge's decision, can my ownership be reversed or subsequent lien be placed on boat even after I am new DMV registered owner of record ?

FYI..Boat sale price is 10K with arguable peak resale value of 10-19 K.

LdiJ

Tim in California.

I want to buy a used boat that from a person involved in a divorce. He claims that it is his owner outright and title is in his name only and that this boat is not subject to any community property agreement, as a result, he has title and can sell to me without permission from spouse.

I would plan to perform transfer at DMV window and pay seller simultaneously as title is successfully transferred into my name.

Question: If it later turns out that boat is subject to community property and/or prior judge's decision, can my ownership be reversed or subsequent lien be placed on boat even after I am new DMV registered owner of record ?

While your purchase of the boat would probably be safe (because the seller would end up responsible for the 10k to the marital community) I honestly don't think that I would be willing to purchase anything from someone in that scenario.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Tim in California.

How is this boat GUARANTEED that it is not subject to community property? How do you KNOW that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">