• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Divorce and Rental Apartments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsittingbull

What is the name of your state? California.

My wife wants to divorce me after 19 years of marriage. We have lived in the same apartment since 1986, and the rent is very favorable because of rent control. My wife wants to keep it, and so do I. I'm trying to find out if a family law judge could evict one (or both of us) as part of the divorce proceedings. Basically, we've not broken any laws or given any reasons for eviction. Thank you, John Sitting Bull, San Francisco.

LdiJ

jsittingbull said:
What is the name of your state? California.

My wife wants to divorce me after 19 years of marriage. We have lived in the same apartment since 1986, and the rent is very favorable because of rent control. My wife wants to keep it, and so do I. I'm trying to find out if a family law judge could evict one (or both of us) as part of the divorce proceedings. Basically, we've not broken any laws or given any reasons for eviction. Thank you, John Sitting Bull, San Francisco.
Yes, not only can a family law judge evict one of you...but the family law judge basically has no CHOICE but to evict on of you.

However I am confused...this is the first I have heard of rent controlled housing in CA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">