• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csutton

California

I know I need to meet county residency requirements when it comes to filing for my divorce. Does anyone know how to find out exactly what these are for any particular county?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

csutton said:
California

I know I need to meet county residency requirements when it comes to filing for my divorce. Does anyone know how to find out exactly what these are for any particular county?

=====================================

My response:

The following is the State law for California.

Family Code section 2320 - -

"A judgment of dissolution of marriage may not be entered
unless one of the parties to the marriage has been a resident of this state for six months and of the county in which the proceeding is filed for three months next preceding the filing of the petition."

So, for example, if you've lived in California for 4 years, and have lived in San Diego County for 3 months, you're "good to go."

Another example would be, if you've lived in California for 6 months, and have lived in Los Angeles for 3 of those months, you're "good to go."

Substitute any County name in the above examples, and you're "good to go."

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">