• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Called in for a deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metsfour

What is the name of your state? i live in Florida but the divorce is in New York.

I have a Pendente Lite Relief granted by the judge against me for alimpny and child support because i do not have a lawyer and i did not aqnswer the papers. Now her lawyer is having me come to NY for a deposition. i am affraid that if i go there they will put me in jail. What would happen if i didnt go to the deposition?:confused:
What is the name of your state?

CJane

What is the name of your state? i live in Florida but the divorce is in New York.

I have a Pendente Lite Relief granted by the judge against me for alimpny and child support because i do not have a lawyer and i did not aqnswer the papers. Now her lawyer is having me come to NY for a deposition. i am affraid that if i go there they will put me in jail. What would happen if i didnt go to the deposition?:confused:
What is the name of your state?
If you don't appear for the deposition, they can request that the judge order you to appear. If you do not appear once ordered, you will be held in contempt of court.

Running away/hiding from this isn't going to make it go away.

Can I assume, from your fear, that you haven't actually paid CS or Alimony?

metsfour

I have not paid an CS because i do not have any icome, and the papers that were granted were all wrong, but because i didnt answer them they were granted. i have since filed an order to show cause to vacate the judgement.
i also do not want to walk into a trap. i dont want to get to NY and then have them throw me in jail.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

I have not paid an CS because i do not have any icome, and the papers that were granted were all wrong, but because i didnt answer them they were granted. i have since filed an order to show cause to vacate the judgement.
i also do not want to walk into a trap. i dont want to get to NY and then have them throw me in jail.
In your situation jail is going to be a big possibilty either way, unless you just go to the deposition with as much money as you can in case you are arrested.

This is a situation that you litterally cannot run from, and trying to do so will only make things much much worse for you.

metsfour

called in for a deposition

i would love to deal with things, but i have no attorney and no money, throwing me in jail will not help anyone at all, the legal system in this country is so backwards its not even funny !!!!

TinkerBelleLuvr

generally, people who REALLY don't want to go to jail find some means of getting money to AVOID going to jail. borrow ... beg ... plead ...

Just Blue

i would love to deal with things, but i have no attorney and no money, throwing me in jail will not help anyone at all, the legal system in this country is so backwards its not even funny !!!!
Yeah!! What a backward country that demands BOTH parents support their children!! Geesh! In other country's the kids just go out and beg for food...But in the US the PARENTS actually have to pay for their children's food!! URGH!!!:rolleyes:

metsfour

The problem is that his mother does not want to get a job or support him at all, she expects me to do it all. I have no skills and no job. i am willing to get a job and pay the state minimum, but she wants more, she wants $2,500 a month !!!!!

So everyone should stop hating and give some legal advice like this forum is setup for.....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The problem is that his mother does not want to get a job or support him at all, she expects me to do it all. I have no skills and no job. i am willing to get a job and pay the state minimum, but she wants more, she wants $2,500 a month !!!!!

So everyone should stop hating and give some legal advice like this forum is setup for.....
Look. YOU SHOULD HAVE ANSWERED THE PAPERS. Then you could have said your side. YOU DID NOT. Your own fault. Deal with it. :rolleyes:

metsfour

i guess if i was a lawyer and knew exactly what to do i would have "dealt with it" But im not a lawyer and thats why im asking these questions and really didnt think i would get a lot of responses from angry housewifes.....

a cad man

Here's one more "angry" comment, but not from a angry housewife.

Guys who provide the genetic material to create children and who then later decide for whatever reason it isn't their responsibility are pieces of ????. You are running because you don't have the money? Then show up and show you have no money and pay the price for running away.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i guess if i was a lawyer and knew exactly what to do i would have "dealt with it" But im not a lawyer and thats why im asking these questions and really didnt think i would get a lot of responses from angry housewifes.....
Nope. Not an angry housewife. An attorney. But now guess what -- this attorney not responding to you any longer. have fun.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">