• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone please help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coolj5

What is the name of your state? Texas

My divorce was filed in TX. My ex-wife lives in Pennsylvania, I live in TX. We were divorced on Nov. 8, 2000. She was awarded the house, the car, furniture, etc. She stopped making the mortgage payments in September 2002, she abandoned the house and it is now vacant. The mortgage bank is suing me because my name is somehow still on the house which SHE was awarded in the divorce decree. What do I do so I don't get stuck with owing $62,000? It clearly states in my divorce decree that she gets the house. Do I have a way out? Please help....:confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The bank really doesn't care what the divorce order says. If your name is still on the mortgage, you're liable for payments, just as your ex is. Your choice is pretty much pay what's owed and sue her for it, or let the house go and have it on your credit report. If your order required that she refinance and she hasn't, you could also file against her for contempt of the order, but that doesn't help you with the bank.

VeronicaGia

Is the house in TX? If so, file contempt of court charges, ask that the decree be changed that you get the house (if you can afford it), pay it up and move in. If you pay it up, she could move in and the family judge may not care that you paid.

You'll need the advice of an attorney to make sure that whatever it is you decided, you'll be within the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">