• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone tell me if my mother is entitled ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Robyn913

Hi everyone,

About 12 years ago my parents sold their house here in New Jersey and moved down south to Alabama because my dad received a job transfer there through the post office... Not long after they moved there my father had apparently been cheating on my mother for about 16 months out of the 18 months we lived there. Of course my mother had no clue what was going on and she thought everything in their marriage was going fine with the exception of a few fights here and there. Anyway, my fathers friend who lived here in New Jersey dies of cancer and he claimed he could not get off work to go to the funeral so he sent my mom and I in his place to the funeral and to pay our respects.. meanwhile, he's in Alabama moving out of our home basically cleaning it out. My mom and I go back to Alabama after our trip and find our house almost empty. Being my mom and I didn't have any real family down south in Alabama we moved back home to New Jersey. Before we moved my mother had accquired an attorney in Alabama since that is the place my father lived and filed for divorce. So in March of 1992 their divorce was final. My main concern is my mother will not receive any of his pension and alimony can someone please tell me if she is entitled to receive these benefits after 23 years of marriage?

If she is entitled I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how she can file for these benefits.......

Thank you in advance

U

ursula

These are usually issues taken care of in the divorce. Does the divorce decree address either of these issues?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">