• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an attorney be removed from a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sroutlaw

In Missouri:
I am going to court next week on a Show Cause hearing-my ex is failing to pay debt awarded him in divorce settlement several years ago. His excuse? Inability to pay. He has a job, so to me that means, he is able to pay, period.
His FATHER, who is a court officer in another county, is representing him! This man is evil (threatened to "revoke" my ex's consent to the adoption of my children if I pursued my ex for this debt!) as well as seriously in conflict of interest, in my opinion.
Anyone know if there is any law against representing your own son in court, against your former daughter in law? And further, the fact that he is an officer of the court in this state-does that come into the matter at all?

Thanks-
Steph

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No, it's not a conflict of interest - - *unless* he's represented you and your husband, or just yourself, in other previous matters; and, even then, such a potential "conflict" would have to be scrutinized in light of the current litigation. For example, if he represented you, 5 years ago, in an Auto vs. Auto accident claim, then it would be doubtful that his current representation of your husband, his son, would be considered a conflict of interest.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">