• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can background check, SS# be required of new girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyj75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I'm trying to help two friends of mine. A classmate Scott found out his wife Tammy was cheating with her boss in our very small town and he started divorce proceedings. Many people includiing myself knew because the affair was very public. Months later, he reconnected with his high school sweetheart and discovered that after all of these years, they want to pursue a relationship. The soon-to-be ex-wife lives in the couple's home with the children and Scott pays the bills as the court directed. Tammy has the man she cheated with living with her and she still works for him. Yet she was furious to learn that Scott was beginning a relationship with the old girlfriend, Paula. She has kept the kids from him and left the state with the children for vacations when he was scheduled to have them.
Scott received paperwork yesterday from Tammy's attorney that requested the SS number, address, list of medications, history of mental health therapy, of Paula. It said that a background check would also be performed on Paula. Now Paula, who is one of my best friends and also an old classmate of mine, is very distraught. Although she has nothing to hide, she feels this is a total invasion of her privacy. It this legal? Is it standard practice? Does Scott have to cooperate and what happens if he doesn't comply?
Scott's attorney reviewed the request and forwarded it on to him in the mail with the instructions to write the answers on a separate sheet of paper. Scott has had a terrible time getting his attorney to return calls and the court date when the information is being requested is very soon. Also, Scotts's attorney has not followed up with an identical request for Tammy's new live-in who is reported to have a criminal history which caused him to be discharged from the military. Any advice will be very appreciated!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
GF is not a party and I would not give the information until a court ordered it. The reason for the answers on a separate page is so the attorney can determine how to answer them.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I'm trying to help two friends of mine. A classmate Scott found out his wife Tammy was cheating with her boss in our very small town and he started divorce proceedings. Many people includiing myself knew because the affair was very public. Months later, he reconnected with his high school sweetheart and discovered that after all of these years, they want to pursue a relationship. The soon-to-be ex-wife lives in the couple's home with the children and Scott pays the bills as the court directed. Tammy has the man she cheated with living with her and she still works for him. Yet she was furious to learn that Scott was beginning a relationship with the old girlfriend, Paula. She has kept the kids from him and left the state with the children for vacations when he was scheduled to have them.
Scott received paperwork yesterday from Tammy's attorney that requested the SS number, address, list of medications, history of mental health therapy, of Paula. It said that a background check would also be performed on Paula. Now Paula, who is one of my best friends and also an old classmate of mine, is very distraught. Although she has nothing to hide, she feels this is a total invasion of her privacy. It this legal? Is it standard practice? Does Scott have to cooperate and what happens if he doesn't comply?
Scott's attorney reviewed the request and forwarded it on to him in the mail with the instructions to write the answers on a separate sheet of paper. Scott has had a terrible time getting his attorney to return calls and the court date when the information is being requested is very soon. Also, Scotts's attorney has not followed up with an identical request for Tammy's new live-in who is reported to have a criminal history which caused him to be discharged from the military. Any advice will be very appreciated!
Paula should absolutely refuse to provide any of that information at all. Even if it means that she won't be dating Scott any more. Yes, its a complete invasion of privacy, and a dangerous one as well.

I am really rather surprised that an attorney went along with such a demand.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Scott received paperwork yesterday from Tammy's attorney that requested the SS number, address, list of medications, history of mental health therapy, of Paula.
The only ones I would give my SS# to is:
  • my employer, or potential employer for a background check
  • the bank

I would NEVER ever just give out my SS# to someone who is asking. Now, the judge could compel it, but I question whether they could since Paula isn't a party to the action.

Which means, if I were Paula, I would step way back out of all this drama. It isn't worth it at this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">