• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a child divorce from his parents???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

burritojon

i have been trying to gather info on this but cant seem to come up with anything on the internet. does anyone know if this is possible and under what circumstances it could be done? any clue to where i can find some more info would be greatly appreciated

jon

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

burritojon said:
i have been trying to gather info on this but cant seem to come up with anything on the internet. does anyone know if this is possible and under what circumstances it could be done? any clue to where i can find some more info would be greatly appreciated

jon
My response:

In your State, no.

In the other 49 States, yes.

IAAL

B

burritojon

more info

where can i find out more about this? florida is the only state? are there any mitigating factors... ie i go to school in NH and have residence tehre

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: more info

burritojon said:
where can i find out more about this? florida is the only state? are there any mitigating factors... ie i go to school in NH and have residence tehre
My response:

Well, you finally told us your State name ! Congratulations !

You see, you didn't follow directions in your first post (See those BIG RED words at the top of the page ?), so I gave you a squirrely response. How would I know what State you were writing from, unless you tell me ?

You can't "divorce" your parents in Florida, or any State. You can, however, obtain an "emancipation" if you meet the Florida requirements. Moving, when you're under the age of 18, does not "emancipate" a minor. You need a court order and decree.

Talk to a nearby Family law attorney. Most will give you a FREE initial consultation by telephone.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

Re: more info

burritojon said:
Who said anything about Florida being that state?

B

burritojon

unclear

sorry i was being unclear. i am 19. i am more interested in gaining a financial separtion from my parents. they do not support me but colleges take their finances into consideration when determining my financial aid... aka i get screwed. sorry my question was unclear. thanks
jon

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: unclear

burritojon said:
sorry i was being unclear. i am 19. i am more interested in gaining a financial separtion from my parents. they do not support me but colleges take their finances into consideration when determining my financial aid... aka i get screwed. sorry my question was unclear. thanks
jon
My response:

You're an adult.

I know you're trying, but it's time to stand up on your own two feet. Work and go to school at the same time. If you try hard, you won't need the financial burden of financial aid. Remember, at some point, you'd need to pay that back - - and, if you were thinking of Bankruptcy to get out from paying the loan back, you can forget that too; school loans are excepted from Bankruptcy.

Good luck, and get a good education.

IAAL

B

burritojon

a little hard to swallow

if my father was not a rich ******* i would be going to school for free... but because he is and because he doesnt contribute to my education my mother and i are left to foot the 30 grand a year tuition. please spare the "suck it up" lecture.... thats a **** load of money that i dont wanna pay if i dont have to...
thanks

LegalBeagle

Re: a little hard to swallow

burritojon said:
if my father was not a rich ******* i would be going to school for free... but because he is and because he doesnt contribute to my education my mother and i are left to foot the 30 grand a year tuition. please spare the "suck it up" lecture.... thats a **** load of money that i dont wanna pay if i dont have to...
thanks
Then quit and go work at Burger King. That way you have no loan and some nice change to play with. You know, life is hard, you just want everything given to you..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: a little hard to swallow

burritojon said:
thanks
My response:

What does your mother have to do with this ? Why do you feel that your mother should be burdened with YOUR college education? If that's her choice, fine. But don't make YOUR problem HER problem. It's your education, not hers.

You're an adult. You're a big boy. It's your problem. Figure it out for yourself and come up with your own answers. Your Dad, your Mom, or the World for that matter, does NOT owe Jon an education.

If you want something in life, get it on your own. You'll feel better for having done so.

IAAL

B

burritojon

What does your mother have to do with this ? Why do you feel that your mother should be burdened with YOUR college education. If that's her choice, fine. But don't make YOUR problem HER problem. It's your education, not hers.

You're an adult. You're a big boy. It's your problem. Figure it out for yourself and come up with your own answers. Your Dad, your Mom, or the World for that matter, does NOT owe Jon an education.

If you want something in life, get it on your own. You'll feel better for having done so.

i dont remember saying that she should carry that burden... she decided she would help me with it of her own accord. i am not making my problem hers. i am an adult, or at least trying to be one, and i am trying to figure things out. i was just wondering if i could lighten a burden on myself by becoming financially seperated from my parents. while trying to find out if this is possible you are giving me lectures on life that i dont really need.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

I heard that, Jon ! That's wasn't a nice thing to say.

I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

IAAL

wtd

IAAL - I like it, got a ring to it. Mind if I use it? Thought I'd try to get your permission so I don't wind up being a question poster over on the copyright board.

regards,
wtd

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wtd said:

IAAL - I like it, got a ring to it. Mind if I use it? Thought I'd try to get your permission so I don't wind up being a question poster over on the copyright board.

regards,
wtd
My response:

It's all yours, wtd, with my compliments. Just give LegalBeagle a dollar on the way out.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">