• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the court grant the divorce without my husband's approval?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruff

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Can the court grant the divorce without my husband's approval? Can the court go ahead and grant my divorce and give me what I want from the settlement if a) he didn't respond after being served, b) doesn't have an attorney, and c) won't be showing up for court because he's in drug rehab? My husband says he doesn't want the divorce and we can "talk about it" when he gets out of rehab (12 months from now).

LdiJ

Ruff said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Can the court grant the divorce without my husband's approval?
Yes.

Can the court go ahead and grant my divorce and give me what I want from the settlement if a) he didn't respond after being served, b) doesn't have an attorney, and c) won't be showing up for court because he's in drug rehab? My husband says he doesn't want the divorce and we can "talk about it" when he gets out of rehab (12 months from now).
Its possible that if your husband truly cannot be present in court (and there may be ways that he could be present even if he is in rehab if he wanted to be present) its possible that a judge could delay the proceedings. Consult wtih a local attorney to find out whether or not that is likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">