• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a divorce be cancelled after filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rg84

New york state - Monroe County

Hello, My Wife and I have filed for divorce a week ago and have gotten everything signed, notarized and filed. it's pending at the Supreme Court as we speak (review by matrimonial referee). She has signed the affidavit of defendant (i requested the divorce) and several other required documents. She says now that she has "changed her mind" simply because "she doesn't want to make it easy for me"... Is there anyways she can "change her mind:" and cancel the divorce procedure after she's already signed the affidavit and all other documents that were required to be signed by her? By all means, we're just awaiting the judge to sign it off.

LdiJ

New york state - Monroe County

Hello, My Wife and I have filed for divorce a week ago and have gotten everything signed, notarized and filed. it's pending at the Supreme Court as we speak (review by matrimonial referee). She has signed the affidavit of defendant (i requested the divorce) and several other required documents. She says now that she has "changed her mind" simply because "she doesn't want to make it easy for me"... Is there anyways she can "change her mind:" and cancel the divorce procedure after she's already signed the affidavit and all other documents that were required to be signed by her? By all means, we're just awaiting the judge to sign it off.
Possibly. Nothing is final until a judge signs the paperwork.

matthewingham

Cancelling The Divorce

Keep in mind up front, I am a divorce attorney in Tulsa OK...you need to consult an attorney in your region before moving foward.

In Oklahoma Divorce Court, if you and your wife have filed the divorce, but the divorce has not been finalized, the person who filed the Petition for Divorce can file a Motion to Voluntarily Dismiss.

If you and your wife have filed the divorce, and the divorce has been finalized, either one of you can file a Motion to Vacate. The Motion to Vacate will 'undo' the divorce.

Check with a divorce attorney from your region, I am certain that your region will have some similar procedures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">