• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a divorce decree be amended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mtheluckyone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New York

My divorce decree states that my ex and I would each pay half for college tuition, that was about 12 years ago. Since then, I put myself through college and now pay for that student loan. Now my oldest son who turned 18 in June is planning on attending college in the Fall. I also have two other sons who will be following in his footsteps. My problem is that I'm not able to afford paying half of each of their tuition and I believe that making them also responsible for 1/3 will help keep them focused on getting a real education. My ex refuses to cooperate with me on this and I also pay full child support for all three. To make matters worse, I also had to file for bankrupcy this past February. Is there anything I can do? Please help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New York

My divorce decree states that my ex and I would each pay half for college tuition, that was about 12 years ago. Since then, I put myself through college and now pay for that student loan. Now my oldest son who turned 18 in June is planning on attending college in the Fall. I also have two other sons who will be following in his footsteps. My problem is that I'm not able to afford paying half of each of their tuition and I believe that making them also responsible for 1/3 will help keep them focused on getting a real education. My ex refuses to cooperate with me on this and I also pay full child support for all three. To make matters worse, I also had to file for bankrupcy this past February. Is there anything I can do? Please help.
You agreed. So therefore you have to pay half for college tuition. That is the problem. You could try for a modification but it may not be granted. If it is not granted then you need to find someway to come up with the money. You have a court ORDER not a suggestion.

LdiJ

For how much longer will you be paying child support for the 18 year old?
Child support goes to age 21, particularly if the child is in school.

OP...does your son qualify for any grants or scholarships? Can he get student loans?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My ex doesn't feel that our child should pay anything for his college tuition but I'm assuming he would qualify as I once did.
State WORD FOR WORD what the divorce decree orders regarding college tuition. You may not be able to make your child be responsible for ANY of the cost of higher education. Including by getting loans in HIS name.

I'mtheluckyone

Regarding the divorce decree modification...

Don't I at least have the right to see what I'm being asked to pay for? My ex isn't providing me with any paperwork. If I do move forward with a court hearing, can I represent myself and what exactly would I be asking for in court, it's not a modification of child support, what documents/forms do I need?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">