• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can ex wife go after estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HorizonGLH86

I have a legal question that I was unable to get answered using other resources on the site. My father in-law got divorced three years ago in Florida. They divorced with the help of a mediator. The divorce agreement read that after the sale of their home she would get half the proceeds or $150,000 minimum. Since then my father in-law was diagnosed with a terminal illness and they only give him several weeks. He was severely upside down on the house so he stopped paying the mortgage 2 months ago and moved in with us. His only other asset was his company that he has given to my wife and brother in law. It is a chapter S corporation so he signed his shares over to them. My wife and brother in law now run the company and pull a salary. My question is, can his ex-wife go after the company? The company has no physical assets but it does have an income stream. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
His ex can sue the estate. And depending on when the shares were transferred it is possible she could make a claim to it.

Bali Hai

His ex can sue the estate. And depending on when the shares were transferred it is possible she could make a claim to it.
The judge could also find contempt of court and throw the father in law in jail if his ex loses the GUARANTEED 150k.

HorizonGLH86

Please keep in mind my father in law is very ill and probably won't live more then a few weeks. He also does not have $150,000, he has no assets.
thanks for all of the responses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is a man that's been in jail on a judges whim for the last 13 years with a terminal illness.

The law is the law!!
By definition, 13 years is not "terminal".

In THIS case (you know, the one the OP came here asking about), the man is expected to live a few weeks. As such, this will never make it to court on the contempt issue.

mistoffolees

Technically, the length of time doesn't determine whether something is terminal. We all have terminal conditions - we're going to die some time.

But, of course, you're right that there's a big difference between someone who has just weeks to live and someone who is still around after 13 years.

Bali Hai

In THIS case (you know, the one the OP came here asking about), the man is expected to live a few weeks. As such, this will never make it to court on the contempt issue.
Well let's hope that's not the case.

HorizonGLH86

My main concern is the ex wife coming after my familly. It sounds like she could in fact go after the company (my father in laws only asset that he gave us). I should mention that the company is a property management company. The company only owns a pickup truck, no buildings or other assets.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since we're talking about a nebulous definition, I think a Wikipedia reference will suffice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_illness

Bali Hai

My main concern is the ex wife coming after my familly. It sounds like she could in fact go after the company (my father in laws only asset that he gave us). I should mention that the company is a property management company. The company only owns a pickup truck, no buildings or other assets.
Plan on losing that pickup truck and paying the gas bill for ten years.

mistoffolees

Does FIL have life insurance? If so, that can be used to satisfy the judgment rather than the business assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">