• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can French wife demand her share of Queens property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dominiquepc

New York State...French citizen marries American (she was former French citizen) in 1950. NY Legal separation 1960s, he remarries in France 1975 to a French citizen, yet never notifies first wife. Wife #1 finds out in 2000 that he has French divorce, 1967.
$700,000+ property in Queens will go to survivor of this ex-couple. Wife #1 lives in this house.She is now 81 and in good health He is now living in France with wife #2. He has not visited Queenw in 4 years yet he shares house expenses for his apt. He (83yrs) started dialysis in fall 2004.
Wife #2 hates wife #1, of course! So....can wife #2 claim anything on Queens property upon his death??? She worked in US for 15 years at United Nations, him too.
Does NY state recognize a marriage in France for a non-resident, alien card holder? Can wife #2 demand her part of Queens property and will NY state recognize her claim?
As daughter, I have no idea what to expect or how to become informed. Any advice,info to read is greatly appreciated. I need to support and help my mother, wife #1. Many thanks

LdiJ

dominiquepc said:
New York State...French citizen marries American (she was former French citizen) in 1950. NY Legal separation 1960s, he remarries in France 1975 to a French citizen, yet never notifies first wife. Wife #1 finds out in 2000 that he has French divorce, 1967.
$700,000+ property in Queens will go to survivor of this ex-couple. Wife #1 lives in this house.She is now 81 and in good health He is now living in France with wife #2. He has not visited Queenw in 4 years yet he shares house expenses for his apt. He (83yrs) started dialysis in fall 2004.
Wife #2 hates wife #1, of course! So....can wife #2 claim anything on Queens property upon his death??? She worked in US for 15 years at United Nations, him too.
Does NY state recognize a marriage in France for a non-resident, alien card holder? Can wife #2 demand her part of Queens property and will NY state recognize her claim?
As daughter, I have no idea what to expect or how to become informed. Any advice,info to read is greatly appreciated. I need to support and help my mother, wife #1. Many thanks
What is seriously needed NOW...is a consult with an attorney. This situation is extremely complicated...far too much so for an internet message board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">