• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can He Prove It

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

am1star

I live in Washington DC. My and I have been married almost four years. Back in May a woman left a message on his phone saying she was pregnant. I called the women in January and she is not stating that the baby is three months old. She has not filed for child support. My husband is claiming that of course he never has been with her. However to try and salvage our marriage he said he would do a paternity test to convince me. How would he legal go about establishing paternity for this baby? Yes I know this is show for me but honestly me and his mother want to know. He mother ask can he sue her for slander if it is not true because she believes him.

Some Random Guy

If he wants to legally file for parental rights, then you need to go through the courts and have a paternity test ordered. However, if he just wants to prove that the child is not his and has never had relations with the mother, then you may be best served by getting the child and father tested through a private lab.

Washington Paternity Testing in Washington DC Yellow Pages by SuperPages

Note that if you do the test privately and he is the father, you may need to have it redone for the court case.

He mother ask can he sue her for slander if it is not true because she believes him.
His mother needs to know that he cannot win any slander case without showing that she knew that he was not the father. So if he slept with her but did not father the child, its still not slander, because she could have reasonably believed that he was the father. So how will you prove to the court that he never slept with her when she claims that he did?

Any slander case will be very expensive and he will have to be able to show that he was damaged in some way and it would be silly to attempt such a lawsuit unless the woman has the ability to pay any judgment against her.

am1star

Thank you

The link for the private lab did not come thru but I will find it. Through private testing I am assuming all he can do is ask her. If she says not then that is the end of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">