• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he send me out to the streets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omaj2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband has just served a divorce on me. I asked him if he could give me time to move out of the house, say 6mths which is from now till August since this came as a surprise to me and I need to get my finances together for rent. He agreed and I told him he will put it in writing so I know it is binding and that way we can amicably resolve rather than go before a judge but he says he is not writing and signing any paper. Now am afraid that I may be at his mercy after the divorce is finalized. We have no children together and have little asset so I feel the divorce may be a simple one that will not waste time in handling. I want to know if I have a right to remain under his roof for the 6mths asked or if he is under any obligation to grant my request being that we were legally married for 3years 11mths. Any one has an advice on this please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">