• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he turn the water off???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

butch86

my mother is from PA. the home is in a gray area because they moved in a month before they were married. she physically and monitarily helped build the house though. she does not work because she takes care of her mother. her husband has moved to the basement for separation purposes. this past week he shut the water off so there is no water for my mother to use. my 89 year old grandmother also lives there. everyone my mom calls said that he is allowed to do this. i have a hard time believing that he is allowed to deny them a basic necessity to live. what can she do? the problem is this is probably only his first step. we expect the electricity, phone, etc. to be next. please help. thank you.

B

butch86

What I meant was...

the ownership of the home is in a gray area. It could be determined as marital property or it may not be. My point is can he turn the water off so that two other people in the house don't have any?

C

crystal2

If the water account is in his name, I would think he would be able to do whatever he wants with it. Can't your mom turn the water on in her name? Or do you mean he physically turns the water off so no one in the house can use the faucet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">