• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can husband move back into house with his sibling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhholmes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My sister is in the process of divorcing her husband. He was forbidden to enter their house by a temporary protective order, due to some violence. The order has expired, and now he wants to move back in, along with one of his siblings. My sister and her husband own the house jointly. Divorce proceedings are scheduled for September.

Legally he has a right to be in the house at this point, but can my sister prevent him from bringing his sibling along? Can the husband bring in a third person without her consent (and against her will), given that they are co-owners of the house?

Thanks!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My sister is in the process of divorcing her husband. He was forbidden to enter their house by a temporary protective order, due to some violence. The order has expired, and now he wants to move back in, along with one of his siblings. My sister and her husband own the house jointly. Divorce proceedings are scheduled for September.

Legally he has a right to be in the house at this point, but can my sister prevent him from bringing his sibling along? Can the husband bring in a third person without her consent (and against her will), given that they are co-owners of the house?

Thanks!
Based on what you posted (and really should not post someone elses legal issues)...Yes he can move back in with sibling(s). Perhaps you, as you are so involved, would let sister move in to your home to avoid her STBX and his family.

Best of luck to your sister...

Blue

LdiJ

Based on what you posted (and really should not post someone elses legal issues)...Yes he can move back in with sibling(s). Perhaps you, as you are so involved, would let sister move in to your home to avoid her STBX and his family.

Best of luck to your sister...

Blue
I would agree with this depending on the status of the divorce and property settlement. If I were the wife I would certainly be petitioning the court for exclusive use of the marital residence.

Bali Hai

I would agree with this depending on the status of the divorce and property settlement. If I were the wife I would certainly be petitioning the court for exclusive use of the marital residence.
As we all know, without a doubt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">