• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i change divorce attorneys in midstream

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rekab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am the plaintiff in a divorce case having filed about 6 weeks ago, no children, just the financial stuff involved. It seems that my attorney and I have developed an adversarial relationship; it seems to be more of a clash of our two personalities; however, I can't at this moment feel comfortable the attorney is handling issues in my best interest.

My question is can i terminate the relationship and secure another attorney and have a reasonable expectation that something significantly untoward would not occur? For example, would another attorney feel uneasy to take my case after things have already progressed? If it helps to know this, I am also being counter-sued, or counter-petitioned, I apologize in advance if i'm not using the correct term.

Thank you in advance for whatever advice you can provide.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOu can fire your attorney and get another one. just make sure you pay your attorney for all the work they have already completed on your case as if you don't, a new attorney will not be likely to want to take you on.

rekab

thank you very much! yes, the attorney has gone thru about half of the retainer fee i've provided, so i'll request a refund of the remaining. thank u again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">