• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change the locks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

precious4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My divorce is not final yet however, my soon to be ex-husband has moved out of the house. The only thing he has left in the house are books and piles and piles of paper. He is still paying the mortgage but, he has moved out. Can I change the locks to the house since he has moved out? Thanks:)

JETX

Can I change the locks to the house since he has moved out?
Yes, you can. HOWEVER, he has every right to demand access and a set of keys. Otherwise, he can simply break a window (or whatever) to gain entry to HIS house/property.

jumac

unless you have something form the courts granting you solo use of the house don't do it. untill you got the ok form the courts he can come and go as he please and you can't do a thing bout it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">