• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I contest service of my divorce papers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kompuserve

My husband had me served with divorce papers. Not having my own attorney, I signed an acceptance of service. I live in Seattle, Wa, and now have 20 days to respond. Afer reading through, I see that he omitted the parenting plan and child support work sheet, and I will only have 10 days left by the time I receive these. Can I contest and be re-served because I was not given all the paperwork together? The petition evn makes reference to the "enclosed parenting plan", but it is not there. The attorney told me he "forgot."

D

dorenephilpot

Contesting service, as you choose to term it, would mean that you are saying you didn't receive proper notice that you were being sued for divorce.

From your description, that is not the case. You were served. In fact, you signed for the documents.

Get the papers that you need from the attorney or from other sources, and save your battles for the things that matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">