• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Drop Kids From Health Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julbox3134

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN In my divorce decree, it is ordered that I keep my two children on my health insurance through my employer. However, their mother says her plan has better coverage and she has placed them on her plan without me even knowing about it. I have to fill out a form at work that they have other coverage. Can I drop them from my policy since she has done this? I don't feel I should be paying hundreds of dollars a month for something not even being utilized, but sure don't want any problems since decree is worded the way it is.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN In my divorce decree, it is ordered that I keep my two children on my health insurance through my employer. However, their mother says her plan has better coverage and she has placed them on her plan without me even knowing about it. I have to fill out a form at work that they have other coverage. Can I drop them from my policy since she has done this? I don't feel I should be paying hundreds of dollars a month for something not even being utilized, but sure don't want any problems since decree is worded the way it is.
How about you do this instead...
Take the money that you would normally spent each month on premiums for the kids..
and give it to their mother for additional support!!
and in answer to your question NO you cannot drop them unless you go back to court and have your divorce decree amended.
..______________________
~ If electricity describes the movement of electrons,
does morality describe the movement of morons ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Additionally, unless the new coverage is less than 30 days old or it is your employer's Open Enrollment period, you can't drop them anyway. It's not something you can do at any time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">