• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file in the states if I'm a Portuguese National?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asuwere

Portugal - I am married to an American US Navy member, but I am a Portuguese National. We have been married for 9 1/2 years and have two children. I have never lived in the US and my husband recently returned from being in the states for 3-years and I want a divorce. He is telling me that I can't file for a divorce in the states becasue we were married in Portugal and I am not an American Citizen. Can anyone help me? He makes over $6000/month and I make $1500/month and he is telling me that all he will give me for support is $200/month. Does anyone know if there is a way I can file in the states, any state since he is an American?
Also, I know that if I were an American Citizen that I would be entitled to a portion of his retirement, but he is telling me that since we were married here that I'm not entitled to any of his retirement. If anyone can help I would appreciate it, I don't want to hurt him financially, I just want him to take care our children and he is just trying to hurt me right now. Help!
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">