• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I fill out a legal separation form without an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tekitoumuusan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband and I have been separated since the end of last November.
I would like to legalize the separation.
Would I have to go through an attorney to do this?
or can I do it on my own?
Do I only need to submit a form?

Thank you

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband and I have been separated since the end of last November.
I would like to legalize the separation.
Would I have to go through an attorney to do this?
or can I do it on my own?
Do I only need to submit a form?

Thank you
You don't NEED an attorney, but you have to decide if you're going to do it right or not. If you want to do it yourself, research the laws in your state and find the forms on your state court's web site. Read everything you can about the process in NC and decide if it's worth the trouble.

In general, I don't recommend DIY divorces because there are far too many mistakes that cost the parties a lot of money. If the divorce is simple and uncontested, an attorney won't charge you all that much. If the divorce is contested and/or complicated, you probably shouldn't be doing it on your own, anyway. So there are (IMHO) few situations where it makes sense to do it yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">