• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I finish divorce myself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlocke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee

I hired an attorney to represent me in an uncontested divorce. Things were going just fine, everyone agreed, everyone signed, just had to wait 90 days after filing to get the divorce decree in front of a judge to approve.
The 90 days have come and gone.
My lawyer told me to expect it to go in front of judge on a certain day, then 2 days after that day passed he told me the judge was out and he couldn't get it done but that it would be done the following week. Well, that was now 2 weeks ago and I have not heard anything from my attorney even after leaving voice mails and emails asking what is going on.
I called the court to see what I could do if anything and was told I can do nothing without the decree.
I am upset that there are delays but even more upset that he won't just call me back and tell me what is going on. I can't even get the decree from him since he won't talk to me.
Short of having to hire another attorney is there anything more I can do to get this finished?

single317dad

Your options are:

1) Wait for the judge to sign the final order.
2) File an appearance for yourself, and have your previous attorney removed. This will go most smoothly if they file their own motion to withdraw appearance. Then you may proceed with a request for a final hearing, though that may be entirely unnecessary (and even counterproductive) if the court is going to approve your divorce anyway and just hasn't gotten around to it yet.
3) Hire another attorney, who has the knowledge to perform the above steps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">