• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to leave a home I resided for 4 years?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vhsantos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My husband (of 2 years) and I got into a domestic dispute that caused him to make threats of divorce and 24 deadline to live our residence. I've in that home for 4 years. I was put on the deed when he refinance the home. Does he have a right to kick me out of the home? He is in the military however we reside off post.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Learning Experience.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes the court can force you to leave the home regardless of how long you have resided there.

vhsantos

Yes the court can force you to leave the home regardless of how long you have resided there.
Ohiogal,
Thanks for responding. So I should just wait for a court order? I feel that he throws those type of threats for me to not push a consern or issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohiogal,
Thanks for responding. So I should just wait for a court order? I feel that he throws those type of threats for me to not push a consern or issue.
He throws punches and you will stay there with him? I would move for safety sake.

vhsantos

He throws punches and you will stay there with him? I would move for safety sake.
Ohiogal,

I appreciate your advise. I've handle that situation by getting the military assistance in the matter. We are both going through marriage counselling.

I was thinking about the threats of divorce and a 24 hour deadline to leave the home but wasnt too sure if that was legal?

Its a relief to be able to talk to someone about this. This is my first marriage and Im learning as I go. Thanks again for responding.

LdiJ

Ohiogal,

I appreciate your advise. I've handle that situation by getting the military assistance in the matter. We are both going through marriage counselling.

I was thinking about the threats of divorce and a 24 hour deadline to leave the home but wasnt too sure if that was legal?

Its a relief to be able to talk to someone about this. This is my first marriage and Im learning as I go. Thanks again for responding.
No, he cannot give you a 24 hour deadline to move out of the marital residence.

A judge would have to order you to move out.

Ozark_Sophist

Since your name is on the deed, you have the same right to the house as your husband. Whatever happends, don't give up your ownership interest in the house without also having your name removed from the mortgage (no quit claims).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">