• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced out of my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justaguest

I live in SC. I realize that this might sound like a silly question. Husband and I are ready to call it quits. His 26 YO son moved in with us last week, so the 3 of us are unconfortably living under the same roof. I started packing up but just decided I don't want to move. Both names on the deed, just his on the mortgage. Can I be forced into moving from my home? BTW, seeing a lawyer next week.

Banned_Princess

I live in SC. I realize that this might sound like a silly question. Husband and I are ready to call it quits. His 26 YO son moved in with us last week, so the 3 of us are unconfortably living under the same roof. I started packing up but just decided I don't want to move. Both names on the deed, just his on the mortgage. Can I be forced into moving from my home? BTW, seeing a lawyer next week.
Not yet.... that would be up to the divorce decree.

mistoffolees

This question is asked at least twice a week. He can't force you to move out unless he gets a court order giving him sole possession of the house.

nextwife

However, you can ALL be forced to move eventually if the mortgage payment is not made.

So don't presume it is being made- be proactive about making sure or about paying it. You are half owner, regardless of who is on the mortgage, and stand to lose the place (your half interest) if payments default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">