• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to refinance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texmz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Divorce final over 8 years ago. House was quit claimed to me but mortgage remained in both of our names. Nothing in divorce decree about getting a refinance. New wife is mad that his name is on mortgage. Can he come back after all this time and force me to refinance?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Divorce final over 8 years ago. House was quit claimed to me but mortgage remained in both of our names. Nothing in divorce decree about getting a refinance. New wife is mad that his name is on mortgage. Can he come back after all this time and force me to refinance?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
He can ask the court to order you to refinance. If his name is still on the mortgage after 8 years, that's not unreasonable and is likely to be granted. Put yourself in his shoes. How would you feel if he was tying up your credit 8 years after the divorce?

The good news is that after 8 years (plus however many years you were married after getting the mortgage) there should be enough equity for you to do that without too much difficulty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">