• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get an Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tressa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I have been married for a year and a half now. I recently found out that my husband lied to me so I would marry him. He made up a fake past that was suppose to interest me. He has lied to me from day one and he continues to lie to me. I am not sure what kind of person he his or what he is capable of. Do I have grounds to get an annulment because I don't want to be with a guy who has to lie to get what he wants.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I have been married for a year and a half now. I recently found out that my husband lied to me so I would marry him. He made up a fake past that was suppose to interest me. He has lied to me from day one and he continues to lie to me. I am not sure what kind of person he his or what he is capable of. Do I have grounds to get an annulment because I don't want to be with a guy who has to lie to get what he wants.

Divorce him.

(seriously, it's much much easier to do that)

An annulment (or "nullity of marriage" or "nullity of domestic partnership") is when a court says your marriage or domestic partnership is NOT legally valid. A marriage or domestic partnership that is incestuous or bigamous is never valid. Other marriages and partnerships can be declared "void" because:

* of force, fraud, or physical or mental incapacity;
* one of the spouses or partners was too young to legally marry or enter into a domestic partnership; or
* one of the spouses or partners was already married or in a registered domestic partnership.

Annulments are very rare. If you ask to have your marriage or domestic partnership annulled, you will have to go to hearing with a judge.
(from http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/intro.htm )

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And...telling you that he's a millionaire when he's really a destitute high school drop-out does NOT rise to the level of "fraud" for an annulment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">