• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a divorce from US... but I am married in another country?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrongbelief

Is it possible to get a divorce from US... but I am not an American and I am not married in the United States? (Example: I'm married in Philippines but I wanted to file a divorce in US... is this possible?)

OR to rephrase

If I'm married from another country and I get another marriage from US, is my marriage in US considered legal? (Example: I wanted to marry someone from US, but not yet legally separated from a marriage in the Philippines... is this possible?)

Please advise as I am in this situation right now. I travel a lot to US and I met someone that I'm willing to spend the rest of my life with. The problem is, though I'm separated from my wife in my country, legally we haven't annulled our marriage yet (or still ongoing annulment).

Thanks for your advise in advance!

LdiJ

It doesn't matter where you got married. You have to get a divorce or an annulment before you can marry someone else. A legal marriage in any country in the world, is also a legal marriage in the US. You can't file for a divorce or annulment in the US unless you are an actual resident of the US.

Roony

Married in another country

Hi I like to know if some one is USA Citizen can she get divorce in USA.how whould she do that.

My Girl friend got married in India about three years ago she is USA citizen after marring to him found out he just got married to her to come USA she also found out that he has been USA before and got deported from USA so she came back and did nothing so far now we are thinking to get married so like to know how whould she get divoce to him from USA please help if any one know any thing about it .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi I like to know if some one is USA Citizen can she get divorce in USA.how whould she do that.

My Girl friend got married in India about three years ago she is USA citizen after marring to him found out he just got married to her to come USA she also found out that he has been USA before and got deported from USA so she came back and did nothing so far now we are thinking to get married so like to know how whould she get divoce to him from USA please help if any one know any thing about it .
START YOUR OWN THREAD AND DO NOT NECROPOST. Okay? You can't hijack this way.

OHRoadwarrior

Start your own thread. Do not hijack another please. She is not legally entitled to fraudulently obtain a visa for the purpose of marriage, when the visa clearly says she cannot have the intent. Regardless of the point in time your relationship is at, her citizenship can be revoked and she can be deported for fraud.

If my girlfriend is legal marriage in Philippines then comes to US on any visa (M1, K1, or Work), can she get divorced in US?
So that she can marry in United States?

Or can she not file even like you mentioned unless she has a green card or naturalized like over time?

Is there anyway past the Philippines no-divorce law without going through Philippines?

Basically all they do there is tie up cases for years costing everyone thousands even when no one wants the marriage.
Her husband cheated with several other women already children and everything he's living with that other woman there.
He said and she both want annulment but I don't think he will ever pay.
Others in US said sounds like scams they can sue or make you pay for their divorce, I of course realize this but wondering if anything
can be done in US? Or is all unbreakable from US side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">