• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a divorce while pregnant in FL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlelamb579

What is the name of your state? FL

I left my husband in March 2004, and have been trying to get him to serve the divorce papers since then. I recently got pregnant by my new boyfriend, and I'm wondering if I can still go through with the divorce, no papers have been signed yet.

Silverplum

You've already been given a legal answer, by attorneys, to this question on another board.
(http://community.lawyers.com/messageboards/message.asp?channelId=17&subId=&mId=593248&mbId=10)

You are trolling around to get an answer that you like, instead of the answer that is true.

So feel free to run around, posting your story on every board the internet can offer. The answer the judge will give you will remain the same, because the law is the law. It doesn't change just because you got knocked up by your boyfriend while still married to your husband.

*edited to add link

Last edited:

littlelamb579

This is the second site i have posted on, and the first gave no answers. I didn't put the state...forgot to. And yes the state matters. You should have read the replies before making a comment on here..

This was one of them

""Is it true that when you are pregnant even if the child isnt your husbands that you cant divorce till the child is born?"

Depends on state law. It's true in my state. A divorce petition must allege whether or not the wife is pregnant.

There's a legal presumption that a child is the husband's, and the divorce action is directed at solving the paternity, custody and visitation issues.

Marriage is a legal relation and the government can place strings on terminating the marriage. Historically, there was no right to a divorce and the government could refuse to give people a divorce.

Oh and the other one said

It depends on the state law, which you did not identify.

Generally a child born during a marriage is considered the product of that marriage but you can have a paternity test done when the child is born.

So please explain to me where my answer is?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">