• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a free name change (back to maiden) at Soc. Sec. office?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bethy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I have been separated for 18 months and just want my maiden name back. If he wants to file for divorce, fine, but I just want to go back to my birth name. If I bring my birth certificate to the social security office, can I just have it done there or do I need to go through the court? Marriage was 6 years, no joint kids - all separation stuff is done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I have been separated for 18 months and just want my maiden name back. If he wants to file for divorce, fine, but I just want to go back to my birth name. If I bring my birth certificate to the social security office, can I just have it done there or do I need to go through the court? Marriage was 6 years, no joint kids - all separation stuff is done.
No, you can't get a "free" name change. You will need to do it through the courts. That can be an actual name-change, or it can be ordered with the divorce.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
No, you can't get a "free" name change. You will need to do it through the courts. That can be an actual name-change, or it can be ordered with the divorce.
I would INSIST that a name change be part of the divorce decree (and have three times). Why pay to have it changed later when it can be easily done via divorce decree? :cool:

ecmst12

I don't think it even has to be ordered,, you just need a divorce decree to take to SS. But of course you need toget divorced for that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't think it even has to be ordered,, you just need a divorce decree to take to SS. But of course you need toget divorced for that.
Actually a name change does need ordered. The wife needs to be "restored" to her maiden name in it.

FlyingRon

Understand you don't even get a "free name change" at the SSN even when you got married.
The SSN will accept a marriage as a legal name change in their records but they are NOT the arbiter of name changes.

As pointed out, once you have adopted the new surname at marriage if you want to change it again you'll need a court action (either stand alone, or in some cases, the judge can also order it in a divorce action).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">