• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get gov assistance if I am legally separated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistoffolees

Well I am doing the best that I can. I hope the fact that so far I have a 4.0 GPA, and I have made the deans list every quarter will help me get my foot in the door.
Good. Then you shouldn't have any problem handling a full time job and part time schooling so that the taxpayers don't have to support you.

And your children wouldn't necessarily have to be raised by day care. They have a father, too. So have the father watch them the 2 nights you're in school. As for the days, sorry, but that's the way life works these days. Kids often spend time in day care while the parents work. They survive -and if taken care of at home, they thrive.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well I am doing the best that I can. I hope the fact that so far I have a 4.0 GPA, and I have made the deans list every quarter will help me get my foot in the door. It's not simply a "piece of paper", it's a college education.

Yes. I have children that I would actually like a hand in raising. I am not going to let daycare raise my children.

You are insanely rude! My husband makes over 60,000 a year. I'm old school and I really thought we were going to raise our children together. Do you think this was my plan? I was going to have graduated right around the time my youngest would start school. Then I could work during the day and have a career of my own without sacraficing important, impressionable years raising my children. You really have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe your life has gone exactly according to plan, I wish I could say the same.
She wasn't rude. She was honest. You have children that YOU need to support. Every day in a child's life is important. Does that mean you are going to not work until they die or you die? Good grief. You act as though YOu are the only one that influences these children. Maybe dad should be able to stay home and raise his children while YOU work. That sounds like a plan.

Who watches the children while you are in class?

CourtClerk

Am I rude...

Or did I just tell the truth and you can't handle it?

Well I am doing the best that I can. I hope the fact that so far I have a 4.0 GPA, and I have made the deans list every quarter will help me get my foot in the door. It's not simply a "piece of paper", it's a college education.
Honey, I have two of those pieces of papers hanging on the wall. 2 that I busted my ass to get all while NOT having the government provide me ONE RED CENT in welfare. Might I add, I did it without the aid of child support EITHER so it CAN be done.
Yes. I have children that I would actually like a hand in raising. I am not going to let daycare raise my children.
But you'd rather have the government support them???
You are insanely rude! My husband makes over 60,000 a year.
So do I. That's your husband's money. Good for him. What's your point?
I'm old school and I really thought we were going to raise our children together. Do you think this was my plan?
No, sounds as if your plan was to be completely dependant on someone else your entire life. Sounds like that's still your plan, at least short term.
I was going to have graduated right around the time my youngest would start school. Then I could work during the day and have a career of my own without sacraficing important, impressionable years raising my children.
When the two of you decided to divorce, then you decided to make MANY sacrifices.... this is just one in a long list of future ones.
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
Sweetie, I could write you a book about just what I know and how I dug MYSELF out of it.
Maybe your life has gone exactly according to plan, I wish I could say the same.
No, my life didn't go "exactly according to plan" or I'd have M.D. behind my name. I decided to have children, and since I didn't want anyone who didn't have a hand in making my child supporting my child, I had to kiss those plans goodbye. Welfare was never a good look for me OR my child. We don't do poverty well.

What I DID/B] do is work. I worked my behind off. I worked to the point that I often got about 3 hours of sleep at night between going to school full time, working full time and raising a newborn baby.

ohara82

I thought this was a forum that was supposed to help answer legal questions not bash people. I did not ask what your opinion on welfare was. My question was will I be able to get assistance. That was it. Glad I allowed you a place to trample all over me with your high horse. Goodnight and good luck. Thanks for all your financial support.

LdiJ

Honey, I have two of those pieces of papers hanging on the wall. 2 that I busted my ass to get all while NOT having the government provide me ONE RED CENT in welfare. Might I add, I did it without the aid of child support EITHER so it CAN be done.
So you never got any EIC or additional child tax credit during those years? If you did, you cannot say that you didn't accept one red cent in welfare.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So you never got any EIC or additional child tax credit during those years? If you did, you cannot say that you didn't accept one red cent in welfare.
Sorry but EIC and additional tax credit are NOT welfare. They are tax breaks.

nextwife

There is not some absolute "entitlement" to being a SAHP and not using child care. That is a choice a parent can make if they can do so.

If you were so adamant about the absolute need to be able to do that, you should have made sure you put your education behind you before starting your family, as a partners continued well being/employment/presence is not guaranteed in life.

The rest of us don't have to go to work, putting our own kids in child care to pay for you to get to do what you want.

LdiJ

Sorry but EIC and additional tax credit are NOT welfare. They are tax breaks.
You obviously didn't read my previous post on this thread. Both of those refundable credits give people money that they did NOT pay in as tax. Therefore its a government handout.

Its true that its a handout administered by the IRS rather than by the welfare department, but its my tax dollars and your tax dollars that are funding that handout.

commentator

Unfortunately, there are two groups of mothers in this country who get to raise their own children. Those are the wealthy, who can proudly be "stay at home moms" and the very poorest, on government assistance, whose child care would actually cost more than the jobs they could get. In a marriage where the husband was making a good income, the amount of support he is going to provide going to be quite a bit more than if he were a low paid laborer.

Those who have a job, any job, even a minimum wage job, probably won't qualify for much government assistance. That was her question. Can I qu lify.?you'll have to have some sort of fixed estimate of your assets and your income, and that's not settled unless you have already gotten the legal work done to get you out of the marriage. And then, even then, probably not. Because most people don't have a clue how stringent the poverty level incomes and requirements for assistance are, would never dream of living that marginally.

CourtClerk

You obviously didn't read my previous post on this thread. Both of those refundable credits give people money that they did NOT pay in as tax. Therefore its a government handout.

Its true that its a handout administered by the IRS rather than by the welfare department, but its my tax dollars and your tax dollars that are funding that handout.
Oh give it up Ld... you know darn good and well that EIC is NOT welfare and you could go ask anyone at the IRS the same question and they'd say the same. However, since you asked, I probably qualified for EIC 2 or 3 years of the years Stink has been on this earth, and NEVER has it resulted in a huge refund for me, since I pay taxes every year. However, as a tax pro, you ought to know that you actually have to WORK to collect EIC anyway, unless you know of a bunch of folks who are filing tax returns on welfare money... No, I never received a dime in welfare, no medicaid, no food stamps. I WORKED 2 jobs, at one point 3 part time jobs and yes, during that time it's unfortunate to say, but I saw my kid very little, but it's a means to an end. It's the price you pay for deciding to have children.

Obviously, you have no problem with people sitting on their behinds while you support them because they'd rather do something else or take the easy way out. Good, open your door to the OP and let her live with you while she finished school. The rest of us believe in personal responsibility (apparently, including her husband). YOU make them, YOU pay for them.

Oh, and OP, in case you didn't know... if you apply and receive welfare, you WON'T be getting that child support money. Your soon to be ex husband will be paying it directly to Social Services and you'll be getting a very small disregard (usually about $50). Shoot yourself in the foot why don't you? See, there is some advantage to working.

LdiJ

Oh give it up Ld... you know darn good and well that EIC is NOT welfare and you could go ask anyone at the IRS the same question and they'd say the same. However, since you asked, I probably qualified for EIC 2 or 3 years of the years Stink has been on this earth, and NEVER has it resulted in a huge refund for me, since I pay taxes every year. However, as a tax pro, you ought to know that you actually have to WORK to collect EIC anyway, unless you know of a bunch of folks who are filing tax returns on welfare money... No, I never received a dime in welfare, no medicaid, no food stamps. I WORKED 2 jobs, at one point 3 part time jobs and yes, during that time it's unfortunate to say, but I saw my kid very little, but it's a means to an end. It's the price you pay for deciding to have children.

Obviously, you have no problem with people sitting on their behinds while you support them because they'd rather do something else or take the easy way out. Good, open your door to the OP and let her live with you while she finished school. The rest of us believe in personal responsibility (apparently, including her husband). YOU make them, YOU pay for them.

Oh, and OP, in case you didn't know... if you apply and receive welfare, you WON'T be getting that child support money. Your soon to be ex husband will be paying it directly to Social Services and you'll be getting a very small disregard (usually about $50). Shoot yourself in the foot why don't you? See, there is some advantage to working.
The bolded is completely untrue. What I want people to use welfare for is to better themselves, so that the welfare cycle is broken for that family...and so that my tax dollars don't end up supporting them on a permanent or long term basis through EIC and the additional child tax credit. I don't like MY tax dollars being used as a handout for someone else, if that someone else has the ability to improve their situation in life through education. I don't like it enough that I would rather see them get a bit more up front, but less in the long run.

Bali Hai

The bolded is completely untrue. What I want people to use welfare for is to better themselves, so that the welfare cycle is broken for that family...and so that my tax dollars don't end up supporting them on a permanent or long term basis through EIC and the additional child tax credit. I don't like MY tax dollars being used as a handout for someone else, if that someone else has the ability to improve their situation in life through education. I don't like it enough that I would rather see them get a bit more up front, but less in the long run.
Your tax dollars will always be supporting someone. That's the way the system is set up.

We need front line combat troops and who in their right mind with a PhD, capable of earning six figures, would volunteer for that??

mistoffolees

The bolded is completely untrue. What I want people to use welfare for is to better themselves, so that the welfare cycle is broken for that family...
What percentage of the time does that happen? 0.05%, maybe?

OP is capable of working and earning an income. She is also capable of going to school - as evidenced by her good grades. It's up to her to take responsibility for her life, NOT to rely on the government to support her.

She is perfectly able to apply for student loans. She may be eligible for grants and scholarships (particularly in light of her good grades). She should be receiving child support. Depending on the circumstances, she may receive spousal support. She will receive 1/2 of marital assets. AND, she is capable of getting a job.

I don't see any reason why the government should support her - especially since there are so incredibly few cases where welfare has led to education and independence. If she can't take responsibility for her own life now, there's no reason to believe she will take responsibility later.

And, for the record, I supported myself through school (including an Ivy League PhD) and didn't receive one penny in welfare. I had no assets of my own to start, except what I had earned and saved. My parents paid my $50 application fee and that's it (I did live at home for 2 years, but paid most of my own expenses). I ended up with modest student loans which were paid back within 10 years.

LdiJ

What percentage of the time does that happen? 0.05%, maybe?

OP is capable of working and earning an income. She is also capable of going to school - as evidenced by her good grades. It's up to her to take responsibility for her life, NOT to rely on the government to support her.

She is perfectly able to apply for student loans. She may be eligible for grants and scholarships (particularly in light of her good grades). She should be receiving child support. Depending on the circumstances, she may receive spousal support. She will receive 1/2 of marital assets. AND, she is capable of getting a job.

I don't see any reason why the government should support her - especially since there are so incredibly few cases where welfare has led to education and independence. If she can't take responsibility for her own life now, there's no reason to believe she will take responsibility later.

And, for the record, I supported myself through school (including an Ivy League PhD) and didn't receive one penny in welfare. I had no assets of my own to start, except what I had earned and saved. My parents paid my $50 application fee and that's it (I did live at home for 2 years, but paid most of my own expenses). I ended up with modest student loans which were paid back within 10 years.
I know many people (all woman) who had help from the government while they were going to school (mostly food stamps, daycare assistance and medicaid) who ended up with a good education and a good career. One of them was a cousin of mine, some of them were coworkers or employees, and many of them are long term clients of mine. I was doing their taxes when they were going to school and on welfare, and I am still doing their taxes.

My experience is that if a welfare recipient goes to school, it DOES break the cycle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">