• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get gov assistance if I am legally separated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CourtClerk

I know many people (all woman) who had help from the government while they were going to school (mostly food stamps, daycare assistance and medicaid) who ended up with a good education and a good career. One of them was a cousin of mine, some of them were coworkers or employees, and many of them are long term clients of mine. I was doing their taxes when they were going to school and on welfare, and I am still doing their taxes.

My experience is that if a welfare recipient goes to school, it DOES break the cycle.
Well that's it. I want my Master's Degree and I can't seem to find the time to do it. I think I'll quit my job, go on welfare and then I have all day to go to school. After all, it'll be better for me in the future. That whole going to school and working thing that I did before was for the birds. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Well that's it. I want my Master's Degree and I can't seem to find the time to do it. I think I'll quit my job, go on welfare and then I have all day to go to school. After all, it'll be better for me in the future. That whole going to school and working thing that I did before was for the birds. :rolleyes:
CC, you HAVE a good job that pays you well. If you got laid off, couldn't find another job and decided to go back to school and take some help while doing that, I would have no problem with you doing it.

mistoffolees

Better for you AND the government. Let's have EVERYONE quit work and go on welfare. :rolleyes:

CourtClerk

CC, you HAVE a good job that pays you well. If you got laid off, couldn't find another job and decided to go back to school and take some help while doing that, I would have no problem with you doing it.
My pay has been cut, so I'm not being paid as well as before. If I get that Master's degree, I'll be paid even MORE. I should put in my resignation tomorrow since this has suddenly become the world of doing what we WANT to do instead of doing what we HAVE to do.

CourtClerk

Better for you AND the government. Let's have EVERYONE quit work and go on welfare. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you see it my way. Why work? I can just go to school.

Someone has been awfully unrealistic to this OP because she never commented or responded to my comment that if she is ONLY capable of getting a minimum wage job now (as she said she was) then getting a degree isn't going to do much for her. Bachelor's Degrees aren't what they used to be. Hell, you can buy them off of the internet now. Used to be not too many people were getting them, now EVERYONE has one. I've seen job listings for entry level RECEPTIONISTS that require a degree TO ANSWER THE PHONES and they still pay crap. Entry level Customer Service Reps that require degrees to pay a little more than minimum wage.

Between the OP with her degree and no work experience and that person with a degree AND work experience, who is more apt to get a decent job???? She's holding too much stock in that piece of paper thinking it's going to be the savior of her life.

mistoffolees

I'm glad you see it my way. Why work? I can just go to school.

Someone has been awfully unrealistic to this OP because she never commented or responded to my comment that if she is ONLY capable of getting a minimum wage job now (as she said she was) then getting a degree isn't going to do much for her. Bachelor's Degrees aren't what they used to be. Hell, you can buy them off of the internet now. Used to be not too many people were getting them, now EVERYONE has one. I've seen job listings for entry level RECEPTIONISTS that require a degree TO ANSWER THE PHONES and they still pay crap. Entry level Customer Service Reps that require degrees to pay a little more than minimum wage.

Between the OP with her degree and no work experience and that person with a degree AND work experience, who is more apt to get a decent job???? She's holding too much stock in that piece of paper thinking it's going to be the savior of her life.
Oh, but then she'll be able to go to one of the programs that helps to find jobs for welfare recipients. Sure, they're lousy jobs, and the government has to further subsidize them, and the job won't last much more than a few months, but why not? After all, it's helping her to better herself. :rolleyes:

Given the choice between becoming independent by asking the government to support you or becoming independent by actually becoming independent, I'll choose the latter any day.

LdiJ

Oh, but then she'll be able to go to one of the programs that helps to find jobs for welfare recipients. Sure, they're lousy jobs, and the government has to further subsidize them, and the job won't last much more than a few months, but why not? After all, it's helping her to better herself. :rolleyes:

Given the choice between becoming independent by asking the government to support you or becoming independent by actually becoming independent, I'll choose the latter any day.
Then of course, there is my cousin, who graduated summa cum laude (and she collected, food stamps, medicaid, tanif and daycare assistance) and is a magazine editor today.

Then there is my best friend from high school who graduated cum laude and is a high paid exec today...and she collected all of the above plus section 8 housing.

Then there are those that cannot stand the fact that anyone might have it easier than they did going to school, so the ignore any logical argument (with facts and figures no less) that shows that it actually could be better, for the taxpayers, to give someone a hand up front, rather than making it take 2-4 times as long to get a degree...resort to ridicule because they cannot come up with facts and figures to bolster their argument...and when that doesn't get them anywhere they state that a degree is worthless piece of paper anyway...thus discouraging people from going to school at all.

Oh, and then they make a ridiculous argument that someone who already has a good paying job should quit work to get a masters on the government dime...as if anyone with a good paying job could actually keep up their commitments receiving welfare.:rolleyes:

CourtClerk

Then of course, there is my cousin, who graduated summa cum laude (and she collected, food stamps, medicaid, tanif and daycare assistance) and is a magazine editor today.

Then there is my best friend from high school who graduated cum laude and is a high paid exec today...and she collected all of the above plus section 8 housing.

Then there are those that cannot stand the fact that anyone might have it easier than they did going to school, so the ignore any logical argument (with facts and figures no less) that shows that it actually could be better, for the taxpayers, to give someone a hand up front, rather than making it take 2-4 times as long to get a degree...resort to ridicule because they cannot come up with facts and figures to bolster their argument...and when that doesn't get them anywhere they state that a degree is worthless piece of paper anyway...thus discouraging people from going to school at all.

Oh, and then they make a ridiculous argument that someone who already has a good paying job should quit work to get a masters on the government dime...as if anyone with a good paying job could actually keep up their commitments receiving welfare.:rolleyes:
There have been no facts and figures states actually Ld. Your cousin, sister's best friend on your dog's side and the friend down the street are hardly facts and figures. Perhaps you can provide some....

and you're right. I've already stated me and mine don't do poverty. Besides, I kind of like the idea of teaching my kids to WORK for the things that they want instead of living off of the government. I dunno... call me a role model for mine.:rolleyes:

nextwife

Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
I know many people (all woman) who had help from the government while they were going to school (mostly food stamps, daycare assistance and medicaid) who ended up with a good education and a good career.

So, if a woman has a functioning uterus, she should be able to make babies and then use those babies as rationale to be supported by the taxpayers through college? Unlike men, who can't carry babies, or infertile women, either of which need to find a way to do college on their own? After all, why do college PRIOR to carrying babies, if making babies FIRST will get you supported through college?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
I know many people (all woman) who had help from the government while they were going to school (mostly food stamps, daycare assistance and medicaid) who ended up with a good education and a good career.

So, if a woman has a functioning uterus, she should be able to make babies and then use those babies as rationale to be supported by the taxpayers through college? Unlike men, who can't carry babies, or infertile women, either of which need to find a way to do college on their own?
No, I simply don't know any men who have done the same...none of my male clients, relatives, coworkers or friends have done the same. I don't recall even seeing any men on these forums who have done the same.

I do know some men who have used student loans and/or part time work to pay their child support while they went to school, but I don't personally know any single men with children who have collected welfare at all. I know some who have used state subsidized (sliding scale) health insurance for their children. I also know married men who qualified for foodstamps and medicaid even though they were working, (generally their spouse was not) but none of them were going to school.

ohara82

Well I assure you I did not have children in order to get a free ride to college. No one in their right mind would get a demanding 24 hour job such as parenting to avoid working an little eight hour job. Mayhaps some of you are right in that I should not have depended on my husband. We both wanted an old fashioned family. He wanted to work and he wanted his children to be raised by their actual mother. It wasn't that I was planning to let him support us forever, like I said before, it was just until all our children were in school. That also would give me the time to complete my degree. Of course my marriage didn't work out that way. He has changed his mind and yes, I am feeling pretty naive. By the way, My husband did not pay for my schooling, I have student loans which I will get to pay back one day. Of course those loans will never get paid back if I do not finish school, they will forever be delayed by hardship deferment. That will be goverment money down the drain. I'm sorry that so many of you do not approve of getting help from the goverment. I am planning to get whatever help I can until I am on my own two feet again. My children will never know that we were on welfare, but they will know that mommy got her degree. I will not get a full time job and go to school full time. My children will not have their world turned upside down anymore then it has to be. I will continue my full time education and get a part time job to supplement what I do not get from child support. A degree does mean something, and it will help me get a job. I might have to start at the bottom, but thats ok by me. It doesn't matter what your opinion is. I see it has a hand up and not a hand out, at least the way I plan to utilize it. Like I said before, I did not ask for your judgement, I just wanted some legal advice.

LdiJ

Well I assure you I did not have children in order to get a free ride to college. No one in their right mind would get a demanding 24 hour job such as parenting to avoid working an little eight hour job. Mayhaps some of you are right in that I should not have depended on my husband. We both wanted an old fashioned family. He wanted to work and he wanted his children to be raised by their actual mother. It wasn't that I was planning to let him support us forever, like I said before, it was just until all our children were in school. That also would give me the time to complete my degree. Of course my marriage didn't work out that way. He has changed his mind and yes, I am feeling pretty naive. By the way, My husband did not pay for my schooling, I have student loans which I will get to pay back one day. Of course those loans will never get paid back if I do not finish school, they will forever be delayed by hardship deferment. That will be goverment money down the drain. I'm sorry that so many of you do not approve of getting help from the goverment. I am planning to get whatever help I can until I am on my own two feet again. My children will never know that we were on welfare, but they will know that mommy got her degree. I will not get a full time job and go to school full time. My children will not have their world turned upside down anymore then it has to be. I will continue my full time education and get a part time job to supplement what I do not get from child support. A degree does mean something, and it will help me get a job. I might have to start at the bottom, but thats ok by me. It doesn't matter what your opinion is. I see it has a hand up and not a hand out, at least the way I plan to utilize it. Like I said before, I did not ask for your judgement, I just wanted some legal advice.
Good for you, you have the right attitude. Don't let the naysayers here diverte you from your path.

mistoffolees

Except for one flaw in your reasoning. Welfare is intended for people who CAN'T work and support their families for some reason. It is not intended for people who voluntarily choose not to. You're violating the intent of the system - and the impact is that there's less money for people who really need it.

Not to mention that with child support, alimony (if applicable), property division, student loans, and a job, you should be able to support yourself and go to school. You're simply a self-centered greedy whiner.

ohara82

Thats funny you are resorting to name calling now. I am not planning to do commit welfare fraud. If I qualify then I qualify. At least I am planning to use it to better my life and not to live off of for the rest of it. Sorry if this makes you bitter. I just consider this a loan that I will repay with my future taxes. Good luck with your future bashings. :)

Bali Hai

Thats funny you are resorting to name calling now. I am not planning to do commit welfare fraud. If I qualify then I qualify. At least I am planning to use it to better my life and not to live off of for the rest of it. Sorry if this makes you bitter. I just consider this a loan that I will repay with my future taxes. Good luck with your future bashings. :)
I'm in favor of you receiving these people's tax dollars for assistance. They on the other hand are in favor of you milking your stbx husband out of alimony.

They are the one's who have made divorce in this country so easy to get and they should absolutely PAY for it!

I wouldn't worry about repaying a debt that you don't owe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">