• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get gov assistance if I am legally separated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prospective10

So ridiculous

She is an American who is in need right now, I say go ahead and apply for anything you can to help you continue school and raise your kids. Nothing wrong with it, thats what its for Temporary ASSISTANCE. She needs and deserves it..not these illegals who keep mass reproducing and collecting everything and anything the government has to offer. Shame on you for telling this woman how she should have planned her life better.

Proserpina

She is an American who is in need right now, I say go ahead and apply for anything you can to help you continue school and raise your kids. Nothing wrong with it, thats what its for Temporary ASSISTANCE. She needs and deserves it..not these illegals who keep mass reproducing and collecting everything and anything the government has to offer. Shame on you for telling this woman how she should have planned her life better.
CC, did someone leave the cage door open again?

magnolia31

I thought this was a forum that was supposed to help answer legal questions not bash people. I did not ask what your opinion on welfare was. My question was will I be able to get assistance. That was it. Glad I allowed you a place to trample all over me with your high horse. Goodnight and good luck. Thanks for all your financial support.
Wow, me being a mother of 2 kids myself with another on the way, I'm shocked at the responses I have read thus far. To answer your question, once you are legally separated, yes, you can get assistance. You can apply for daycare assistance as long as you have filed for child support. I have a friend who just went through the exact same thing. She also received food stamps.

I do not have a problem with my tax money going to people who are trying to better themselves like you are doing. I see no problem with getting temporary assistance. I'm not sure why people are so upset about you even asking about being eligible for assistance - they need to take issue with people receiving welfare and whatever else just because they are too lazy to get off their butts to do something else! I have a neighbor who has 7 kids and looks like she is pregnant again. She does not work and receives section 8. This just angers me because she does absolutely nothing to help herself. Just relies on the government and I know it will be a permanent thing.

Ridddle

If you do not hide anything and are completely truthful on the application and qualify, that is great and you should accept help. From what I have heard it is very hard to qualify especially if the house and car are in your name or if there is a joint account with more than 3k in it (in NY public assitance does a "asset check" on applicants).

Anyway I am all for you getting some help IF it is to help you better yourself. My mom had to do it. She was in college, got seperated from hubby, and had no skills to do anything. She applied for assistance which also helped with school. She kept her grades up which helped her get some schlorships. She worked at the school library when she didn't have class and things were tight. I am positive this was not her life plan but life got in the way. Anyway Mom is a OB today so it can happen that poeple use the system to actually help themselves and hopefully it can help you too. Good Luck!

magnolia31

Well I assure you I did not have children in order to get a free ride to college. No one in their right mind would get a demanding 24 hour job such as parenting to avoid working an little eight hour job. Mayhaps some of you are right in that I should not have depended on my husband. We both wanted an old fashioned family. He wanted to work and he wanted his children to be raised by their actual mother. It wasn't that I was planning to let him support us forever, like I said before, it was just until all our children were in school. That also would give me the time to complete my degree. Of course my marriage didn't work out that way. He has changed his mind and yes, I am feeling pretty naive. By the way, My husband did not pay for my schooling, I have student loans which I will get to pay back one day. Of course those loans will never get paid back if I do not finish school, they will forever be delayed by hardship deferment. That will be goverment money down the drain. I'm sorry that so many of you do not approve of getting help from the goverment. I am planning to get whatever help I can until I am on my own two feet again. My children will never know that we were on welfare, but they will know that mommy got her degree. I will not get a full time job and go to school full time. My children will not have their world turned upside down anymore then it has to be. I will continue my full time education and get a part time job to supplement what I do not get from child support. A degree does mean something, and it will help me get a job. I might have to start at the bottom, but thats ok by me. It doesn't matter what your opinion is. I see it has a hand up and not a hand out, at least the way I plan to utilize it. Like I said before, I did not ask for your judgement, I just wanted some legal advice.
Do what you have to do! I was once in your situation and received assistance because I had no other choice. My oldest daughter's father left me from one day to the next without warning. He left me with no car, no money, etc. I applied for whatever I could so that I could feed my baby. Why should I feel ashamed for getting assistance? I didn't put myself in that situation.

I ended up working full time but at that time minimum wage was only $5.15 per hour. It was simply not enough to take care of everything. I took on another job - it was still not enough money.

Now, 9 years later I am a software engineer and make very good money. I pay taxes and have been for years. As far as I'm concerned, I paid back what I received when I was in a horrible situation. Hopefully those that look down on people needing temporary help will never have to find out what it's like to have to worry about how you're going to feed your kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">