• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a restraining order against my ex's girlfriend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

menio67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am in the middle of a separation which has become very nasty. My estranged husband's girlfriend sent me threatening emails after I asked her to stay away from him. She also knows the people across the street from me, and has been there several times and was looking for me. I fear that she wants a physical altercation, and am now apprehensive every time I turn around to my block that her truck might be there. My husband had a very bad temper and history of violent behavior, and this is more than I can deal with. I also do not want my children to be near her since she has indicated she wants to fight with me. Can I file for some type of restraining order to keep her away from me, my home, and my children? Help!

CourtClerk

Why are you asking her to stay away from your husband? Why isn't your husband's responsibility to keep his stuff in his pants?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am in the middle of a separation which has become very nasty. My estranged husband's girlfriend sent me threatening emails after I asked her to stay away from him. She also knows the people across the street from me, and has been there several times and was looking for me. I fear that she wants a physical altercation, and am now apprehensive every time I turn around to my block that her truck might be there. My husband had a very bad temper and history of violent behavior, and this is more than I can deal with. I also do not want my children to be near her since she has indicated she wants to fight with me. Can I file for some type of restraining order to keep her away from me, my home, and my children? Help!
she doesn't have to stay away from your husband. that's his choice. if she's e-mailing you, block her e-mail or change your e-mail address. she's allowed to hang out across the street.

as for being around your children, you'd have to prove she is a danger to your children if dad approves her being around his kids on his time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">