• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i hire an attorney in missouri if i am seperated and living in iowa(divorce)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaseboyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? iowa/missouri. I moved to iowa after seperating from my husband. My daughter is living with me and I want to know if i can file divorce papers in missouri if i am living in iowa.

CourtClerk

Missouri Filing Requirements: In order to file for a dissolution of marriage in Missouri, residency requirements must be met for the court to accept the case. If the court discovers it does not have jurisdictional rights to hear the case it will not be accepted or it will eventually be dismissed. The requirements are as follows:

One party must be a resident of the state of Missouri, or is a member of the armed services who has been stationed in this state, for ninety days immediately preceding the commencement of the proceeding and thirty days must have elapsed since the filing of the petition before the dissolution of marriage will be granted.

An original proceeding shall be commenced in the county in which the petitioner resides or in the county in which the respondent resides. (Missouri Statutes - Title 30 - Chapter 452 - Sections: 300 and 305)
Missouri Divorce Source: Residency Requirements for Divorce: Missouri

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">