• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I hold his property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sury

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My boyfriend had been living with me in my home for five years. Everything is in my name. We had a verbal agreement that he would pay me a set amount to help with expenses every month. He did this for several years. The last year he hasn't had regular employment. He stopped paying. He said he would pay soon. I paid for everything, to help him temporarily. Then he left to go take care of a sick adult child, and he stayed several months. Way after the child was better. He kept saying he was coming back, but didn't. I finally asked him to move out and pay a small amount of the money he owed. He promised he would pay, and then come get his stuff. Well now he wants to come get his belongings and he says he will pay me later. I really need the money. It is several thousand dollars on my credit card. I know he has access to money he just is mad and is refusing to pay. Can I legally keep any or all of his belongings until I get the money?

LdiJ

My boyfriend had been living with me in my home for five years. Everything is in my name. We had a verbal agreement that he would pay me a set amount to help with expenses every month. He did this for several years. The last year he hasn't had regular employment. He stopped paying. He said he would pay soon. I paid for everything, to help him temporarily. Then he left to go take care of a sick adult child, and he stayed several months. Way after the child was better. He kept saying he was coming back, but didn't. I finally asked him to move out and pay a small amount of the money he owed. He promised he would pay, and then come get his stuff. Well now he wants to come get his belongings and he says he will pay me later. I really need the money. It is several thousand dollars on my credit card. I know he has access to money he just is mad and is refusing to pay. Can I legally keep any or all of his belongings until I get the money?
Legally, probably not.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, you can't. But the fact that you want to shows that you are willing to be immature and not do the right thing. Sue him in small claims court for the money and give him his money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">