• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I just leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnkabbott

What is the name of your state? Louisiana wanting to go to Florida :confused:

Me and my wife are not getting along. We get into argument all the time for things she does. I am in hard times with work and that's all I hear from her all the time. I am currently in the process of getting a job as a department supervisor for a large industry in Indiana. I should start in less than two weeks. She has even resorted to violence. I never reported like a dummy. I is stressing our 2 year old out. She let's her do anything and gives her everything. Will even give her medicine just to help her sleep. She works full-time and when she get's paid she cashes her check completly and keeps it for herself and refuses to help with the bills. What I want to do is pack some things up and go to my parents house in Florida, and then file for divorce the next day there. Can I take my daughter with me? Will I loose her if I do that or get in trouble with the Law? She will not leave at all unless she can take our daughter. Thanks for any help I can get!!

LdiJ

rnkabbott said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana wanting to go to Florida :confused:

Me and my wife are not getting along. We get into argument all the time for things she does. I am in hard times with work and that's all I hear from her all the time. I am currently in the process of getting a job as a department supervisor for a large industry in Indiana. I should start in less than two weeks. She has even resorted to violence. I never reported like a dummy. I is stressing our 2 year old out. She let's her do anything and gives her everything. Will even give her medicine just to help her sleep. She works full-time and when she get's paid she cashes her check completly and keeps it for herself and refuses to help with the bills. What I want to do is pack some things up and go to my parents house in Florida, and then file for divorce the next day there. Can I take my daughter with me? Will I loose her if I do that or get in trouble with the Law? She will not leave at all unless she can take our daughter. Thanks for any help I can get!!
Well yes, legally you could take your daughter to Florida. However mom can also file a petition in MI to force you to return the child to MI. If the court orders you to return the child and you don't, then you could be charged with kidnapping.

While you may be able to file for divorce in FL the day after you arrive, (assuming you were actually going to live there, which you aren't, you are taking a job in Indiana) a FL court would not have jurisdiction to make any custody orders because your child will not yet be a legal resident of Florida. That takes 6 months.

In addition, there are your joint financial responsibilities. If mom doesn't pay those bills your credit could be ruined.

Be wise, stay put until matters are settled in court....or if you must go to your job in Indiana, be prepared NOT to take the child with you.

rnkabbott

Thanks...

Thanks for the info..Just for GeWiss...She was able to get my daughter and left and I just filed a domestic violence petition against her. They are trying to serve her now before she gets out of the parrish (county). I will follow her if I have too.. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">