• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep the car - it's not in my name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sad2bdivorcing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My husband is divorcing me. The car I drive was purchased by his parents and my husband is making the car payments to them. I believe my husband's name is on the title, registration, etc. I will be keeping the car, however I want my husband to continue to make the car payments to his parents, pay the car insurance (now that I have to pay for my own health insurance, I can't afford car insurance as well), and possibly the annual registration fee. Do I need to have my name put on the title or registration or something - how does the fact that my name is not on anything affect me - even if everything is agreed to in the divorce agreement?? What do I have to do to make sure I'm not in trouble if I am keeping the car??

Antigone*

My husband is divorcing me. The car I drive was purchased by his parents and my husband is making the car payments to them. I believe my husband's name is on the title, registration, etc. I will be keeping the car, however I want my husband to continue to make the car payments to his parents, pay the car insurance (now that I have to pay for my own health insurance, I can't afford car insurance as well), and possibly the annual registration fee. Do I need to have my name put on the title or registration or something - how does the fact that my name is not on anything affect me - even if everything is agreed to in the divorce agreement?? What do I have to do to make sure I'm not in trouble if I am keeping the car??
Has your STBX agreed to these terms?

mistoffolees

That question is meaningless without context.

Sure, your husband could continue to leave the car in his name and make all the payments and pay the insurance for you. But why should he? And why do you think you would be in trouble?

You will need to work out a complete settlement covering everything and the car will only be one element of that settlement.

However, what you're asking isn't very reasonable unless there's more to the story. If you're keeping the car, you need to be responsible for the cost of maintaining a car including insurance, repairs, payments, etc. The car should be in your name if it becomes your property in the divorce decree. If you can't afford the car, sell it and buy something cheaper (or use mass transit if you're in a location where that is possible).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">