• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Press Charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAKE068

What is the name of your state? MARYLAND
I just got legally separated on the 15th of April and this is my problem. We had a legal agreement drawn up with giving him a lump settlement to take his name off the deed, which we both signed and the money was handed over to him. He moved out the same day as the settlement. Three days later I get a phone call from one of my credit card companies that he tried to write checks against my account. Now I never use this card and more and the account is in my name only, but he is an authorized user - the account is closed now, but two days before settlement he wrote a $6000 check and they put it through and told me that since he was an authorized user I am responsible. He tried to put through another for $4500 and at this time the Fraud dept called me and I stopped payment - I gave him one week to pay it back and he refuses and I want to press charges. He told me he did it with intend to destroy my credit. What are my rights - my credit card company said that to take it up legally.

Any suggestions?

djohnson

Address it in the divorce decree or go back to civil court. It is something you should have taken care of before he done it. You are responsible.

LdiJ

JAKE068 said:
What is the name of your state? MARYLAND
I just got legally separated on the 15th of April and this is my problem. We had a legal agreement drawn up with giving him a lump settlement to take his name off the deed, which we both signed and the money was handed over to him. He moved out the same day as the settlement. Three days later I get a phone call from one of my credit card companies that he tried to write checks against my account. Now I never use this card and more and the account is in my name only, but he is an authorized user - the account is closed now, but two days before settlement he wrote a $6000 check and they put it through and told me that since he was an authorized user I am responsible. He tried to put through another for $4500 and at this time the Fraud dept called me and I stopped payment - I gave him one week to pay it back and he refuses and I want to press charges. He told me he did it with intend to destroy my credit. What are my rights - my credit card company said that to take it up legally.
Any suggestions?
You should have taken his name off the account as soon as the two of you decided that you were going to separate. You can certainly use that as part of the divorce proceedings. Its almost guaranteed that the judge will order him to pay it back....collecting it however could be a different issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">