• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I proceed w/out attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nipper0424

What is the name of your state? Texas

I hired and attorney about a year ago to file for divorce. She got temporary orders for child support and supervised visitation for soon-to-be ex husband. I still owe the atty some money and just don't have it. The hearing for the final decree has been pushed back several times and this Oct 3rd is the LAST time the court will even consider it. I have never received a dime of child support and my ex has cleaned up a lot, so I have let him have our boys unsupervised.

Anyway- My lawyer has withdrawn from counsel because I can't afford to pay off the balance prior to the court date. So, my question is, what happens if I show up for the final hearing on Oct. 3rd without a lawyer? Will the judge still grant the divorce? (My ex doesn't have a lawyer and won't even show up) And if so, I'd like to have the "supervised visitation" taken off the divorce and just let him have regular visitation. Will the court change that if I request it? Or will I have to do more than that? I guess we could just leave the supervised visitation and not follow it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas

I hired and attorney about a year ago to file for divorce. She got temporary orders for child support and supervised visitation for soon-to-be ex husband. I still owe the atty some money and just don't have it. The hearing for the final decree has been pushed back several times and this Oct 3rd is the LAST time the court will even consider it. I have never received a dime of child support and my ex has cleaned up a lot, so I have let him have our boys unsupervised.

Anyway- My lawyer has withdrawn from counsel because I can't afford to pay off the balance prior to the court date. So, my question is, what happens if I show up for the final hearing on Oct. 3rd without a lawyer? Will the judge still grant the divorce? (My ex doesn't have a lawyer and won't even show up) And if so, I'd like to have the "supervised visitation" taken off the divorce and just let him have regular visitation. Will the court change that if I request it? Or will I have to do more than that? I guess we could just leave the supervised visitation and not follow it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
If he doesn't have an attorney and the two of you aren't disagreeing about anything you can certainly represent yourself at the upcoming hearing.

If you ask the judge to lift the supervision the judge will most likely grant that, unless CPS or another social services agency was involved.

nipper0424

Thanks

So, I wouldn't have to re-write all the divorce papers? Is that something that they would do at the court house? I thought that was kinda all that the lawyers did, was type all the information in the papers and the court just approved or denied it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, I wouldn't have to re-write all the divorce papers? Is that something that they would do at the court house? I thought that was kinda all that the lawyers did, was type all the information in the papers and the court just approved or denied it.

You would need to read your local rules. Also who is the plaintiff? You or your ex?

nipper0424

I filed....

I am the one who filed for divorce.... I guess that would make me the plantif and him the defendent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">