• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Re-sue My Ex Husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuchubaby

What is the name of your state? Texas

When I filed and received my divorce, I was on sick leave due to severe clinical depression and stress. My attorney did nothing to help me.
I was married for 20 years and contributed all my money to a bank account that was opened by my husband. I did not get credit for all those years because the account was opened in his name and I had no old bank statements to prove my checks went into that account. Also, my husband has military, state and county retirements, I didn't get a percentage of any of those either because my attorney didn't do her job and his attorney did. I was too distraught to fight any longer and settled without going to court ( I also couldn't afford the $10,000 my attorney said it would cost for me to take him all the way to court.) It's been 3 years and now that I am on the right medication and have had time to think about it all, I am wondering if I can take him to court to see about possibly getting another look at the distribution of funds and retirement? He is living the good life, traveling, buying anything he wants and I can barely pay my bills and am living on social security due to my illness.

Is it possible? What steps would I take?What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

When I filed and received my divorce, I was on sick leave due to severe clinical depression and stress. My attorney did nothing to help me.
I was married for 20 years and contributed all my money to a bank account that was opened by my husband. I did not get credit for all those years because the account was opened in his name and I had no old bank statements to prove my checks went into that account. Also, my husband has military, state and county retirements, I didn't get a percentage of any of those either because my attorney didn't do her job and his attorney did. I was too distraught to fight any longer and settled without going to court ( I also couldn't afford the $10,000 my attorney said it would cost for me to take him all the way to court.) It's been 3 years and now that I am on the right medication and have had time to think about it all, I am wondering if I can take him to court to see about possibly getting another look at the distribution of funds and retirement? He is living the good life, traveling, buying anything he wants and I can barely pay my bills and am living on social security due to my illness.

Do you want alimony? Or do you want to claim SS according to his record?

nextwife

What about other marital assets and debts? Did you assume any of the marital debt, or did he take all of it? House, cars? Did you get a disproportionately greater share of other marital assets? Did he get any share of your retirement accounts?

jhahnwx

Military retirement is considered property and it is pretty much standard practice that if you were married the whole time he was in, you will get half or close to it. If not married the whole time it is pro-rated depending on some things like how many years of "good marriage" etc.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I went back and reread this> Truthfully I do not see how she can reopen the divorce settlement. SHE settled! She had counsel. She did NOT want to fight in court. Hence this seems like nothing more than buyer's remorse.

jmnixon333

Wow

That is a bad situation to be in. I was divorced a couple of years ago and my attorney advised me to get it settled the first time because going back later would be most difficult. I don't think you would be able to change the outcome of a divorce that you previously agreed to the terms by signing off on it. I don't think there is any chance to win a thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">